The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 01:19 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Favorite Strike Indicator

I have been using the small thingamabobbers and they seem to create major weak spots. I end up putting them on my furled leader a few inches above the tippet ring to assure I don't get a weak spot in my line, but it ends up creating a mess if it does get tangled. I feel that there has to be something better out there. I was looking at some of the foam indicators that have surgical tubing running through the middle and thought that might be the answer.

What is your personal favorite strike indicator/bobber?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 AM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Favorite Strike Indicator

Quick release indicators from Waters West.

Because they release when you get a fish on you can do some deep water vertical fishing if you so desire.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 09-26-2012, 05:28 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

If you do use the ones with the surgical tubing thru the middle, put it on and then wrap your line thru it again. Holds better. I've tried several types and keep buying those football looking indicators.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:29 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp1 View Post
Quick release indicators from Waters West.

Because they release when you get a fish on you can do some deep water vertical fishing if you so desire.
Those work very well for deep nymphing stillwaters and if you use a tapered mono leader? Joni and I have been using them for years, but they're not the best for furled leaders. For me (and I hate nymphing moving waters) the Thingamabobber works the best for me.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:50 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

My favorite is the AirFlo strike putty. I truly use it as an indicator so it doesn't suspend the fly; just something to keep my eye on. I use a piece about the size of a #14 nymph or smaller. An added benefit is it doesn't disturb the water much when it lands.

When I want to suspend the fly it is either a thingamabobber or the stick ons.

Rich
Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
My favorite is the AirFlo strike putty. I truly use it as an indicator so it doesn't suspend the fly; just something to keep my eye on. I use a piece about the size of a #14 nymph or smaller. An added benefit is it doesn't disturb the water much when it lands.

When I want to suspend the fly it is either a thingamabobber or the stick ons.

Rich
x2 here for smaller waters. If I'm fishing big rivers with multi nymph rigs, then I use a medium sized thingamabobber. If I'm micro nymphing a suspended nymph, I use the stick on foam - or a stimulator/dry.

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

If you fish over spooky fish on spring creeks or very slow moving water try using a parasol-emerger followed by your favorite dropper: Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I really like the Thingamybobber but they are a pain to use with furled leaders which I use most of the time. What I hve done is used a very small swivel to attach the bobber to the line and also used a piece on mono tied to the leader then to the bobber. Both work well.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

The tip of my line dont use em
imxer and Hardyreels like this.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road

I use poly yarn and a rubberband. Easy to customize the size, quick to adjust, and floats all day. Did a short video for teaching purposes. Go to my blog at www.flyfishersplaybook.wordpress.com to view it. Yarnies are great.

I would post it on here but for the life of me I can't get a video to load....

Last edited by double dry; 09-26-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Facebook link?