The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 PM

ryu1er is on a distinguished road
Talking Fly rod and reel suggestions?

HI!
Im new to fly fishing and i was looking for some suggestions. i plan to fish for rainbow trouts, bass, carp, and freshwater stripers; what rod and reel do you suggest? at the moment i own a pflueger rod and reel combo i got from walmart. its 8ft with a 5 wt line
Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly rod and reel suggestions?

Welcome to the forum,

Do you believe you've out grown the set that you now have? I ask because there are many possible rod & reel combos for you to consider. If you are able to cast well with the Pflueger that you have now, then an upgrade in rod will be very noticeable. However if you are having a hard time with the cast and are looking for the new rod to turn everything around, you'll still need to work on basics regardless of your rod.

Many of our members like the TFO & the Redington rods. We also have a sponsor here Allen Fly Fishing who sell rods, reels, and everything you may need. The members who use Allen products swear by the quality and love the prices.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 PM

i guess i just need practice xD

so, will my current rod be able to handle a large striper? ive caught smaller ones around 20 inches and it feels like my rod would break under anything larger.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:00 AM

44runner is on a distinguished road

A lot of people say a 5wt is a good all around rod but in reality a 6wt is probably more versatile. If I could have one rod and one only I think I might be able to make a 6wt do everything I personally do. Sure it would be too big for the small trout streams and a little under gunned for the bigger reds but I could cope.

The real skinny is that most fly fisherman have a wide assortment of rods for any given scenario and if you really want to get into the sport, you almost have to go in knowing you will end up with a collection. Before I go fishing there is always a "choose your weapon" moment. I normally have at least 2 rods with me when I go fishing but admittedly have carried up to 4 if I have no idea where the day will take me.

So I guess my suggestion is to go with a decent 6wt if you are really wanting to do all that with one rod. The real answer is that you need 2 rods. You could keep the 5 for your trout and get a 7-8 for stripers. There is nothing wrong with a Walmart combo. I started on a SA combo from Walmart and caught tons of fish with that thing. Nice gear is awesome but fishing is still more about the fisherman.

As Ard suggested I would steer you toward Redington. I think as a company they tend to offer the best bang for your buck and they have a solid warranty.

Enjoy.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44runner View Post
The real answer is that you need 2 rods. You could keep the 5 for your trout and get a 7-8 for stripers.
Darn good response there.

Have fun building your quiver.

Dennis
Old 09-27-2012, 12:34 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

My wife landed some big 7 to 8 pound steelheads with a 5wt. Superfly Walmart combo. So a nice 5wt. from a reputable company would prolly cover most of your bases to start with. I am thinking about a TFO 5 or 4 wt. Maybe even a 3 wt.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:45 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

You can do it all with a good 6 wt. The brand is what you can afford, I'd buy used from a dealer who would throw in some basics with the purcahse of the outfit. After the rod purchase all you need is a good pair of hemostats,tippet,leaders,flys,landing net, and common sense. Welcome to the faternity, pull up a chair and soak up the knowledge from the crew.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 PM

Awesome thanks for all the advice! i shall go out to the river tomorrow...after school >.> lol
Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

check out a 6 weight ATS from allen fly fishing (ard shared the link earlier).
pair it up with a allen trout II 2 and you'll have a great rig that will fit right in with your needs. also, make sure you get a decent fly line.
now whether you buy more gear,or how much, thats up to you

casey

ARFE
Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugslinger View Post
You can do it all with a good 6 wt. The brand is what you can afford, I'd buy used from a dealer who would throw in some basics with the purcahse of the outfit. After the rod purchase all you need is a good pair of hemostats,tippet,leaders,flys,landing net, and common sense. Welcome to the faternity, pull up a chair and soak up the knowledge from the crew.
Only thing I would add to the list of must haves is a good pair of polarized sunglasses.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover