The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough
Default Got a brand new far and fine!!!

The last few weeks, all of you guys have got me fired up about a Orvis Far and Fine 5wt. After losing a couple of auctions on ebay, I was distressed. I remembered reading an article somewhere, that a guy named Jim West, one of the original designers of the Superfine series in the 70's, still works at Orvis in the Custom and rod repair shop.

I called Jim and asked him if he could still build a Far and Fine, and he said, "Sure". Well I just got it yesterday. It is amazing. It has unsanded blank, dark maroon wraps and the uneven sections, just like the original. It has a black anodized hardware on the reel seat, and the rod info is etched into the butt. "Far and Fine, 7' 9" 2 5/8 oz 5 wt. Jim put a beautiful cocobolo wood spacer on it. I know the original had the cork, but Jim did not have that option anymore. It even has that old flared ferrule where the two sections connect. The only markings on the blank is the words Orvis Graphite.

I grabbed the rod and headed to a local park with a small lake that is near my home. The rod really has a sweet loading feel to it. I really had to slow my stroke. I was easily casting forty feet without much effort. When I tried to haul to get more line out, I did have trouble. I believe that is just a technique issue on my part. I will have to work on that. I caught a couple of feisty bluegill that made my rod bend in a parabolic shape. Sweet.

Anyway, I am very happy with the rod. It also came with Orvis 25 year Guarantee. I will try to get some time today to post some pictures.

Tony
Old 09-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got a brand new far and fine!!!

Tony: Congrats! That is an excellent rod and you should get years of enjoyment fishing with such a beautiful piece of gear.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:52 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Awesome. You really can't beat the way that worked out for you. Congratulations!

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks guys,

Jim West was an awesome guy to work with. His shop built the rod and got it to me in two weeks. I called a couple days after I placed the order. He told me, we just finished rolling the graphite blank. I was amazed.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

pretty cool. How much was the rod?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM

He charged me $350.00
Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome!

It's great when you can get a rod built by the man himself.

Dennis
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great deal....looking forward to reading Ard's reply when he sees this thread
Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Tony: Thats a great story. I too fish one of the old far and fine rods and love everything about them. The action is hypnotic and it is amazing how capable & versatile the rod is.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Looking forward to seeing it, Tony! That Far and Fine is a great rod, and the custom job sounds interesting to say the least!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...