The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 05:28 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Indicision

I've been torn as of late about what to do with a particular rod that I got.

I bought a 7'9" Orvis Far and Fine Superfine in 5wt a few months back. I've lawn cast it and had it out fishing once. Although I can cast it some, I feel I just can't make this rod work as effectively as others. Just to get to 40-45 ft I'm shooting line.

I really want to love this rod, I just feel like I can't make it work or I haven't found what the rod wants to really shine. I'm near enough to selling it...perhaps it's just me and my lack of casting ability.

Have any of you run into this problem? Not just with this rod type but in general.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Indicision

That's the first time I've heard this issue regarding this rod. The rods should be a medium action that can do about anything. What linne do you have on it?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

It's a WF5F Lefty Kreh. I'm considering a DT5. I also think I need to take it out on the water again.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Work with it short and get the timing figured out. They will cast long but I wouldn't rush into a 70' toss, get to know it. What is the production date, should be on the butt cap........

Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

You're probably rushing it. The cast, I mean. Let the rod do the work. Don't force it. And try other lines.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:56 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Just for some perspective, what other rods do you have and how often do you fish them? I find that sometimes I stumble a little bit when I am changing rods of varying actions, line weights and lengths. Could that be coming into play in your situation?

Great advice from Ard and Mojo. Line, and more important the right taper can make all the difference in the world. I'm sure there are others with this rod, that should be able to share some info with you on their line of choice. I'd personally hold off on buying new line until you get some input from Far & Fine owners as expensive as it is.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 PM

My other dry fly rod is a St. Croix avid, which I consider to be a medium fast action. It's nowhere near as fast as the Hardy Demon I have. Of course, it is 9ft, so it's a long lever and it makes the F&F feel real slow.

What is probably part of the equation is that I don't practice enough as I don't get much time to. I'm tossing tailing loops like crazy.

I had this same problem with the Avid until I just stopped and figured out what the rod wanted from me. This F&F is so light in the hand, it's easy to force it. I'll keep at it and see if I can make it sing.

Ard, it was built in 97.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Administrator

You know Robert, when I use mine I hardly use any arm at all when casting. It's almost all wrist that I cast with maybe some forearm on a longer cast but most short line casts, all you need is to rotate the wrist. The rod will load and cast with very little energy being imparted from arm or shoulder.

Some folks may tell you that you shouldn't cast the way I describe but it works well for me and I've been using this one for 33 years.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 PM

I hear ya, Ard. I cast that way in some close-in technical stuff with my 3wts, even the 'boo as it has a smidge more heft to it. I can tighten things up on the back cast but things tail out going forward.

One thing I did notice is that I can almost get there by casting overhead rather than to the side...
Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Perhaps it's as simple as rotating the casting plane a bit.