The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:15 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Ultralight Fly Rodders out there?

Hey, do any of you fish primarily or at least somewhat regularly with ultralight fly rods? I'm referring to 0-4 weight rods.

I was told that a 5-6 is a good general purpose rod, and it definitely is. I like my 6 weight. That said, since much of my fishing is targeted toward panfish and (soon) small stream trout, it seems to me like a 6 weight is probably "doable", but a *bit stiff for some of the lighter tippets....particularly with trout. One guy told me that he wouldn't fish anything lighter than a 5 weight just due to casting distance and wind problems.

Nevertheless, I was curious and decided to get one of those 3 weight combos from cabelas last weekend, and the thing is a blast! I don't notice a tremendous difference in casting it, though it feels a bit more "wispy". For the distances I cast, which are usually between 30-45 feet....both rods work just fine. Fighting bluegill with it is really a lot of fun, and it seems to absorb shock quite well with my 4-6 pound fluoro level leaders I like to use. Yep, I have some tapered leaders, but I like using just a strip of line....my flies turn over just fine and it's a lot easier this way....so I'm sticking with it. On a side note, though it's probably related more to the taper of the fly line rather than the weight of the fly line, this 3 weight actually roll casts further and with greater ease than my 6 weight.

Just curious....that's all
Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 PM

irons is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ultralight Fly Rodders out there?

of all the rods i own my scott G2 3 wt is by far my favorite, medium action and is so delicate. I love fishing small flies alot so it works out great. Personally for most trout fishing i think a 3-4 wt is plenty, and makes the fishing so much fun. Although i consider ultralights to be 000-2 wt rods. Nice thread!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 PM

jborn is on a distinguished road

I fish many small streams in NM and CO and do so with a 0 or 2wt rod. I love the feel and the weight of the rods as well as the excitement of hooking a 12-14 inch fish on a light rod. My grandsons also love to fish with the light weight tackle and are quite successful in this regard. Small dry fly fishing is just great.

jlb
Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

I love ultralight fly fishing, both for trout and panfish. I have a Sage SPL 8' 0wt, Scott G 8'8" 2wt and 3 3wts. I really like the Scott G for size 18 and smaller dries and soft hackles. Very smooth medium action that protects light tippets very well.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

A #4 rod, is my standard rod on my home river (Gallatin) I'd never use anything bigger. Figure the Gallatin, at the wider spots, is 50-60 feet.. and mostly narrower.

For the bigger rivers (Yellowstone, Madison, Missouri, etc), where I might be mostly nymphing, I'll use the #6. Even on those, if I'm dry fly fishing some sort of mayfly hatch, I'd go with the #4,

Like the above.. Ultralight would be at most a #2 and smaller, maybe #0 and smaller
jborn likes this.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

My two main freshwater rods are my 4wt TFO which is used for trout as well as largemouth bass. I cast tiny midges up to 2/0 deer hair flies with this rod and have caught bass up to 4lbs with it.

Second is my 2wt Echo, I use this on small streams and bigger rivers that require tiny dry flies with perfect presentation.

I don't fish streamers a whole lot but if I do, I usually use a 6wt with sink tip.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:58 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I am having a 6'6" Rainshadow RX7 2wt wrapped up for me
Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I love my 3wts. I had a 2wt bamboo in the smokies last year and it was stupendious. I wouldnt mind getting a 2wt or even a 0wt for tiny creeks.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-01-2012, 02:07 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

A DT line would help on roll casts. My close in work is always a 6'6" 3wt.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

In the lower rod weights I like fiberglass. For small streams and pan fish I normally use a Scott F2 6'6" 3wt. I'm not sure which Cabela's 3 wt you are talking about, but the Cabela's Custom Glass rod in the 5'9" 3wt is a super fun stick that I would highly recommend. At 60 bucks you can't go wrong. A moderate size bluegill will feel like a giant, and a 10 inch trout will feel like a behemoth, nearly doubling the rod over. A fifty foot cast is pretty good with these short glass rods, it starts getting ugly much past that.

-Chase