The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default The $8,769.79 book! Tying materials book questions.

So I thought I'd see if their was a good book on fly tying materials. A Google search caught
this gem selling on Amazon from $500 to 8,769,79 this gem selling on Amazon from $500 to 8,769,79
:
Click the image to open in full size.

My goodness I hope it comes with all the secrets of the universe! That is just one volume! If any of you have this book laying about you might want to put it in a safe - or at least keep it out of the garage sale pile.

Lately I have been commuting by bicycle/train and have noticed a lot of carrion in the road. Mostly squirrels and one duck. I have brought up the topic of scavenging for fly tying materials before - with warnings about its illegality etc. (there are few game wardens in the SF Bay Area). I'd love to hear some of your scavenging experiences. Seems to me that using materials that you've hunted or gathered add an extra layer to the experience.

If anyone could suggest a good comprehensive book about materials, what animals they come from, where, the history of materials, the science, etc., that doesn't require a bank loan to obtain, I would be delighted.

Thanks,

Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The $8,769.79 book! Tying materials book questions.

Dang! The link to the book doesn't appear to work.

Ah,Google works!

Here's a title that appears to address the 'materials history' question above: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...ying-materials
Noiso likes this.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Thanks Fred,
That's the same book!
Rare and unusual fly tying materials: A natural history treating both standard and rare materials,their sources and geography,as used in classic,contemporary,and artistic trout and salmon flies: Paul Schmookler: 9781886961012: Amazon.com: Books Rare and unusual fly tying materials: A natural history treating both standard and rare materials,their sources and geography,as used in classic,contemporary,and artistic trout and salmon flies: Paul Schmookler: 9781886961012: Amazon.com: Books
Maybe that link will work. I tried to find it at my local libraries. No go.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 10-04-2012, 03:49 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Paul Schmookler is undoubtedly the contemporary authority on classic Victorian salmon fly materials and how to use them. A true artist. And his wife, Ingrid, skillfully photographs his efforts with a medium format film camera. Dang, I have to dig trough my cardboard boxes and see if I have this thing...
Noiso likes this.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like your right Mr. N. Just a different dust jacket on the out side. Looks like the first printing was in December of 1994.