The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By caseywise
  • 1 Post By noreaster
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 PM

txpge is on a distinguished road
Default New to the Forum - Need Advice

Hello All! I'm glad I stumbled upon the forum, it looks like there is a lot going on around here and will definitely prove to be an invaluable source of knowledge and advice. To start off, I'm relatively young and don't have much fly fishing experience. I've always been a casual traditional rod and reel fisherman, with the exception of fly fishing with my father a few times. I'm looking to get started with an all around rod and reel that will be used for two sole purposes: 1. Stream fishing for trout in NM/CO with my father and 2. Small Perch and Bass fishing in our stock tanks at the ranch. I believe that one well selected rod/reel will be able to do both of these well. Eventually, I will expand my collection to fit my growing interest in other fish/destinations.

Now for the questions. I am thinking about getting a 4 or 5 wt to start with, but I'm open to suggestions from the experts. A four piece is a must for me for ease of traveling. What lengths should I consider? I have started looking at 8' and 8'6", but those are just wild guesses. Do I want a midflex or tip flex? What are the advantages and disadvantages to each?

I've been scoping out a few rods and reels online and these are what I'm leaning towards. Feel free to make comments or suggestions if you feel I'm misguided. I've checked out Orvis, Sage, Winston, Ross, and a few other name brands.

Orvis Access 4-weight 8'6" Fly Rod—Mid Flex

Orvis Mirage LA II reel

I'll start with these questions and come back with a few more in the thread. I appreciate the help and guidance. I'm looking forward to talking fishing with you all!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: New to the Forum - Need Advice

first of all, welcome to the forum
as far as a combo that may fit your needs, check out allen fly fishing-

Allen Fly Fishing

they make the ATS rod that i think would work well for you from what you've said. i think a standard 9' 5 weight would be perfect.
add a allen trout II reel, plus some good fly line and backing, and you'll have a really nice rig
if you want, go to there website and go on the live chat that they offer. any questions you have will be answered
good luck

casey
fredaevans likes this.

ARFE
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

For what you described I'd do a 8'6" or 9' 5wt. If the bass you go for are larger you could go 6wt, but 5 is a nice all around rod, especially if you primarily target trout.

Lot's of brands out there, but since you asked about one, I think the Access is a nice rod, I have it in an 8wt and enjoy casting it. The Mirage is overkill. If you can afford it, it's probably a nice reel, but I doubt you'll need much drag for your fishing. If you want to go Orvis, I like the Battenkill Barstock reel, or you could go for the Access reel to make the set. Orvis actually offers a rod, reel, and line package for the 5wt Access.

And, welcome to the forum!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I enjoy fishing streams with a 4 or 5 wt. in a shorter length like 7' or 7'6" because they are handier in and around brush and obstacles. I really notice the extra inches in those kind of areas.

The Temple Fork Outfitters rods are nice and not too expensive.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/pro...s/finesse.html

The 4 wt in 7'9" is nice.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 AM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

OP I like your initial idea of the Orvis Access outfit but I would go to 9 foot and 5 weight. I have a friend who uses that outfit and I have cast that rod. I find it superb. His does have the Access reel on it and it is really a sweet combination. I like it better than an Orvis Zero Gravity in 6 weight that I use for large water.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for the 9' 5WT.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee dave View Post
OP I like your initial idea of the Orvis Access outfit but I would go to 9 foot and 5 weight. I have a friend who uses that outfit and I have cast that rod. I find it superb. His does have the Access reel on it and it is really a sweet combination. I like it better than an Orvis Zero Gravity in 6 weight that I use for large water.
Lots of "+1's" for a 9' 5wt (and a wf line), and I'm in that camp given the area/situations our fellow will be fishing. Have very 'short rods' but their use is limited to very brushy conditions where space really is at a premium.

And before I sign off here, WELCOME TO THE FORA!

Fred
chuck s likes this.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:10 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

I can recommend a 5/6 wt rod in 8´6" for the beginning. This is really an allround rod and fits for trout and perch. I also started with such a rod and still today it is one of my favorite equipment.

if you are looking for a travel rod, I can recommend the Frequent Flyer series from Orvis (7 piece rods).

THORSTEN
Old 10-05-2012, 03:37 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have an Access 8 1/2ft , 5wt. Wish I had returned it in the 30 days for a 9', 5wt. The guys are telling you wise. I actually PERFER a longer rod on MOST small streams,,unless there is just God awful growth,,as it allows you reach that will help you out,,,more than short length in casting will,,most of the time.
The Access is a FINE rod though...that'll be a good med action choice. I won't be getting rid of mine, just wish I'd went 9ft.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:17 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

WELCOME ABOARD. Other than fish size, wind is a consideration as a heavier rod/line gives better wind casting and also casts poppers and other wind resistant, bigger, bead heads and heavier flies a tad better. I'm with the consensus though opting for a 9 ft 5 weight but do admit in liking a tip flex, fast rod rod that I can easily overload with a 6 or even a seven weight line at times when needed. I've a fairly new pack rod and it's amazing how responsive and light these newer seven piece rods are but for most purposes prefer a four or five piece rod. That said my favorite five weight is the old Sage SP, 8'9" five weight in a two piece, made with high modulous materials (fast response and light) but with a medium tip flex action. I agree with the comment above on shorter rods such as my 7'6" three weight, in that it's great when cramped spaces have to be fished but even then I will usually go for my nine ft three weight rod as that extra reach allows me to dap, dabble and mend fishing holes that the 7'6" rod can't work.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/