The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Re: Why are reels so expensive and are they worth it?

This sport has no socioeconomic boundaries; the very poor and the very rich and everyone in between enjoys.

The ultra rich find ways to spend that money and the manufacturing types are delighted to provide all kinds of frivolous, decadent, overkill.

Every fly fisherman needs the $400 dollar fly rod fireplace tool set lovingly crafted by Orvis.

Click the image to open in full size.

. . .or the $30,000 custom teardrop camping trailer, handcrafted to your discerning specs by Orvis (wine not included).

Click the image to open in full size.

I on the other hand am as excited about the $4 Japanese Medalist knock off garage sale find as I ever was about any gear.

I am not knocking the ultra-rich so much as pointing out the subjective nature of your question.

Nor am I knocking Orvis. I own a couple of Orvis Battenkill reels and think they were worth the price. I bought a superfine troutbum 3W and, although a great rod, ended up liking my Albright A-5 3W better so sold it.

I prefer to buy used and I prefer to buy made in USA if I can afford it. Whatever your budget you should be able to find something that is worth it to you. The nature of your question suggests that you are looking for a quality fishing tool rather than some gold plated, froo froo, etched, diamond encrusted, job that is more suited to a collectors case at an exclusive private lodge than a public campground next to fishy water.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Need vs. Want........affordability.......species fished for.....a very tough question. In my opinion in the lower 48, there are only a few freshwater species that call for a premium drag, Chinook and Atlantic Salmon are two. There are many more situations where a good drag will be a real asset. Ultra light tippets, and fishing tackle that is light for the species for examples.

Yes, people have fished for and caught huge fish on very basic reels....the classic Vom Hofes and Zwarg did not have strong drags by our standards today (very smooth, yes, strong no), and they accounted for truely impressive fish. The old Pflueger Medalist is a time honored classic for a reason.....it works. The answer to your question is best answered after another question is asked.....How good a flyfisherman are you?

I have seen grizzled experts land 45 pound kings on reels that were barely more than a clicker to retard spool overspin....circa old Hardy Perfects. They could palm a reel as skillfilly and gently as a mother with her newborn babe. Most of us don't have that level of skill (me included). I will go out on a limb here and say a good drag is essential for most of us to be successful on the more powerful species of fish. But do they have to cost two mortgage payments?

Reels like the TFO Large Arbor reels have amazingly strong carbon disc and draw bar drag systems, not exactly cheap....unless you compare them to reels like the Tibor Everglades and Isladers. There are bargains out there, just don't fall for hype. If you believe all the propaganda in the magazine ads, we would all be fishing for blue marlin with Pflueger Trions (not that its a bad reel....for its intended niche).

In a nutshell, do I need that Bogdan on my 3 weight, nope. But its reeeeaaalllly nice!
Hardyreels and caseywise like this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday as I trudged the RI beaches for about 10 hours , I realized that the only saltwater reel of mine that I've used this year is my $65 Pfluegler Supreme.
What I bought to be a back-up is now the primary

(now to clean the stink from my boot-foots)
Hardyreels, Noiso and caseywise like this.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I have flyfished for many years using Pfleuger Medalist reels and have never found a need for anything better. That being said, I don't fish blue water or salmon rivers or steelhead. I have never caught a huge trout either. I say there is a place for these fine reels. I like fine machinery and there is pride of ownership in these fine reels but to me they are tools only and are used as such. I am looking into a large reel for a 9wt that I am planning on getting for salt use and it will need to hold at least 200yd of backing but I doubt that I will ever actually need it...but just in case..... If I had lots of disposable income I would own all fine reels but the ole' Medalist has served me very well....even in the salt. They just require a lot of TLC when used in the salt. Buy what you can afford or what you want but Don't feel that you have to spend big bucks to enjoy the sport. You just aren't required to do that.
Hardyreels and mrfzx like this.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Personally, I find lot's of use for a smooth solid drag fishing my 5 wts and up. Below that, not so much. Fishing wild hot rainbows on the Yuba or L Sac, 18-20" fish can and do put a dent in my backing on rare occasions....not to mention light steelhead on the Trinity. I can and do strip these fish in when the circumstances require that, but getting them on a reel you can trust is a nice feeling in the moment.

Having said that, there are a number of relatively affordable reels that can handle hot fish. Okuma is the mfg that comes to my mind, but there are many other "lower price point" reels that are similar and very functional. I think other companies have marketed the Okuma Sierra with their logo stuck on the side...

I try to be opportunistic, upgrading reels on closeout sales (Orvis mid arbor a while back) or buying used equipt. I think an angler can have solid reels with trustworthy mechanics without breaking the bank...

2 cents worth...-Mike
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:09 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

This has been helpful to me, because I am in the market for an 11 Wt, Large Arbor, and I want a good disc brake system, and I know less about it except to know that in Reels, (all reels) its the Drag System which is the indicator of the cost of the Reel. The other Metal and Plastic Stuff doesn't seem to carry anything like the same stress as the drag. Am I right?

So owing to the cost, I might have to put off my Reel Purchase until Spring because I have a more modest budget.

I do think I could drop $400 on a reel though to match my Spey Rod.

Somehow (being not properly informed on all things) I guess I thought that since I do (in all humility) have excellent skill at playing large fish) that if I know how to "hand line" (hand over hand, trailing line at my feet, I can use a cheaper reel. But the playing a fish off of the Reel itself,...that makes it all different doesn't it?

Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
I do think I could drop $400 on a reel though to match my Spey Rod.
What spey rod? I was looking around and found a few good deals on pretty big reels. In fact the bigger ones are sometimes the easiest to get a good deal on because they are the hardest to move. If you look at when a company closes out a line of reels, the big ones are the last to go.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:41 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello Fly Fishing Friends,

All my reels are from Hardy or Orvis and I also did only strip in the line when I started fly fishing. BUT, I accustom oneself to use the reel during every drill after a fish was swimming through the long loop of my striped in line which was in the water. When the fish did that I had some serious trouble to get it back to release it (I hope you can understand the problem, I descriped, because of my bad English).
After this experience I always use my reels really as a reel and I also love a nice designed fly reel - thatīs a part of that hobby
Hardyreels likes this.

THORSTEN
Old 10-05-2012, 04:55 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said previously, reels are expensive because it is a small market.

Secondly, whether your need a drag depends on your fishing.

I recommend that if the fish has any fight at all, you get the line on the reel and fight the fish from the reel. This is important because there will come a time when you should have put the fish on the reel; or you may be fishing for larger fish that require you to fight from the reel. Unless you are used to doing this, you may fumble and it will cost you a nice fish.

There is nothing good that can happen by stripping line in and having it around your feet in a stream or on a boat. You can step on the line, cutting the coating; or it can get wrapped around something in the boat and you will lose the fish should it run.

I suggest you do this even with click pawl reels. Then learn to palm the reel for drag. The more you do this, you will gain more skill in palming. I used to fish before there were disc drags. Even though I have a very good reel now, I find myself adding some increased drag by palming rather than by cranking down on my drag.

Isn't one of your goals to one day hook a fish that can't be stripped in and has to be put on the reel? Why not practice for that day?
imxer, Hardyreels and Rip Tide like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 10-05-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:37 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Lots of good points as to why one should use a nice reel have been mentioned in this thread, but I'd also like to point out that a jerky drag can be annoying. I'd prefer to not be annoyed, moreover to not be worried, about my reel when a nice fish is hooked.

Think of a quality reel as insurance against annoyance as well as fish loss.

Sometimes it's overkill, but that's the nature of insurance. You're purchasing peace of mind.
Hardyreels likes this.