The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 12:38 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why are reels so expensive and are they worth it?

Great thread, lots of good points! While on the topic of reels and prices, does anyone have a 5wt reel collecting dust that they want to sell?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:33 AM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Why are reels so expensive and are they worth it?

There are lots of good points here already. What you fish for makes a lot of difference and where you fish makes a difference. When I was a in college and just out I fished click-pawl reels that were Hardy imitations. I was thrilled to do it. That was the late 60's and early 70's. In time I made more money and I expanded the species I was chasing and the venues I was fishing.

I still have a few click-pawl reels that I use when I fish a four weight. I am quite happy when I am doing that.

When I fish for Chum Salmon or Chinook Salmon in a river with current I prefer a modern disk drag reel. When I fish for Carp I also prefer a disk drag reel.

The last two days I fished for Trout. I caught a good number. This venue has some large fish. The smallest one I caught was just under 18 inches. I was using a disk drag reel. I could have got that fish in by stripping line since he took the fly when there was quite a bit of line at my feet. The largest fish I caught was 22 3/4 inches. He was fat. There was almost no line at my feet when he took the fly. Even if there had been I would have played him off the reel. Partly that is because the insurance that biggie rob mentioned. I just didn't want to lose that fish. Part of it for me is that like Ard says, I LOVE the sound of line peeling off the reel. It's music!

In the end, go with what you can afford and feel good about. Get out and and enjoy yourself. If you find that you aren't happy with what you have you will have a good time shopping for something new.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
What spey rod? I was looking around and found a few good deals on pretty big reels. In fact the bigger ones are sometimes the easiest to get a good deal on because they are the hardest to move. If you look at when a company closes out a line of reels, the big ones are the last to go.
It was a FlexTec 10/11 wt, 15 footer, I picked up from e-bay for about $50.00 US and another $50 shipping.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:46 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Last two big reels for my twelve weight I bought from Ebay and these reels go begging at times on there as the need is slight in comparison to the more popular 3-8 weight reels. Bauers are light, have a great drag system and can be found at a great price on Ebay as well as some of the better grade, click pawl reels in larger sizes.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
It was a FlexTec 10/11 wt, 15 footer, I picked up from e-bay for about $50.00 US and another $50 shipping.
A serious rod. What did you put on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
Bauers are light, have a great drag system .
I got one fromn a guy on the forum here for a 10 wt. of mine. I love that reel. It does as you said have a great grag. It looks nice, well made, and the drag is as smooth as silk.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Dan,

Bruce may do well with one of the original Vortex reels like I snatched up for the 15' Winston. It is big, heavy (good balance) and has a great drag. I paid 250 for one in good shape.

I'm waiting for the original poster 'Cody' to come back and tell us what he thinks about all this clamor about reels. His post has become very popular.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
Last two big reels for my twelve weight I bought from Ebay and these reels go begging at times on there as the need is slight in comparison to the more popular 3-8 weight reels. Bauers are light, have a great drag system and can be found at a great price on Ebay as well as some of the better grade, click pawl reels in larger sizes.
I agree that the Bauer reels are great. Frankly, I can't understand why used ones in mint or excellent condition sell for such large discounts in the various forum classifieds and Ebay. I own several and they have proven bullet proof for me.

As for the prices of fly reels, I agree that volumes sold and economies of scale have a large affect on the prices. I think there is a good bit of "what the market will bear" in play as well. Hardy sells their new production trout size, 3 1/8", Perfects for right at $1000. They must be worth that price to some buyers or they would be discontinued.

John
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road

Ok, you guys have me convinced but I still have some questions. I fish streamers mostly, and strip the line in anyway. So what do I do when I get a fish on when most of the line is already stripped in? Do I hold the fish/line with my finger until I get the line reeled in? Do I set the hook and the let the fish take the slack line out until it gets to the reel?

I also have a second question: I see that many reels have the option to add a second spool. What is the purpose? Do you buy one really nice reel and use it for multiple size rods?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If you are fishing in still water I understand your stripping in the line. However, if you're fishing streams or rivers you gotta learn line control and swing those streamers.

The extra spool thing used to be for carrying a sinking or sink tip line. Now with multi tip lines many people don't use the old fashioned sink lines. Yes, many folks use the same reels on several different rods and simply change the spools to load the correct line weight.

Ard
addni and shotgunfly like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by codypom View Post
Ok, you guys have me convinced but I still have some questions. I fish streamers mostly, and strip the line in anyway. So what do I do when I get a fish on when most of the line is already stripped in? Do I hold the fish/line with my finger until I get the line reeled in? Do I set the hook and the let the fish take the slack line out until it gets to the reel?

I also have a second question: I see that many reels have the option to add a second spool. What is the purpose? Do you buy one really nice reel and use it for multiple size rods?
If you have line at your feet you have to play it as it comes. You may or may not bother with getting the fish on the reel. If you have the chance, I think you want to do it, but stripping in a fish is ok too. The object is to land the fish. If you're equipped to both strip or land fish on the reel, then you just take what the fish gives you...

If you get so wrapped up in getting the fish on the reel that you give him slack, then you lose the fish. Pressure the fish and get line on the reel when/if you can. Either it happens or it doesn't, but pressure the fish and stay tight to him and either way you win.

This sets the stage for another whole discussion about why not to have 60 feet of line at your feet if you're only fishing with 30 feet in the water. duh

I buy a reel with extra spools because I may want to fish it with multiple rods, or I may want both a floater and a sinker of the same weight. I fish my Orvis mid arbor with both 5 and 6 wt rods using a 6 wt WF and a 6 wt I line.

Hope this helps...-Mike