The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 06:21 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default TFO Where's The Rod Case

My dislike of TFO is having to purchase the case separate to protect the nice rod they sell you. I like the BVK's and Finesse rods I own. TFO sells a good triangle shape case that will not roll around. Go ahead TFO and add the case and it's okay to increase price of package to adjust for including the case; in most situations you will still be a low price leader for a quality rod. I've purchased two TFO's from a fly shop that included the case at price of the rod(no increase). But several shops I checked with sold the rods but didn't keep TFO cases in stock so they could sell generic cases with higher profit markup. They lose the sale due to me having to then go looking for the case elsewhere and possible that TFO will lose the sale if the other fly shop happens to have another quality manufactures rod discounted and with case.

TFO include cases with your rods. Make my shopping experience easy like the other manufactures.
trout trekker likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: TFO Where's The Rod Case

This is the reason I now own more Echo rods than TFO rods. If they don't want to look out for us and make sure our gear is protected, I will buy from a company that will. I couldn't imagine getting to the river and finding out my rod is broken because something shifted in transit and landed on it.
trout trekker likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It's true. For the cost of an Asian-made cordura covered PVC rod case, that a company could risk losing a sale is nuts. I like my BVK but it travels in a funky cardboard shipping tube with sharpie-inscribed "TFOBVK#6" on it. Get with it TFO and provide your rod and customer the respect of an included case.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Break it get a new one for free. They like give always why protect it.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

They could even go all "industrial chic" and use pvc and plumbers glue and stencil on a sharp graphic. With a cheap rod bag from burlap, the rod would be nicely protected for peanuts.

Now that think of it, that's prolly what I'll do if/when I get one.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 AM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

The replacement isnt free. You pay shipping, which increases everyday with gas prices. All the TFO's in my now defunct local shop had rusted line guides where they met the blank. Like a dozen rods. That was the first and last time I ever looked at a TFO rod.
billyspey likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I made my own tube from PVC parts and some foam padding. About $5-8 total in parts.
I figured for the good price on the rod I could just make my own.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:56 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I agree, TFO add the case to the package!!!! I purchased a TFO a few months back and I had a hard time just finding a rod tube. I ended up getting one from an internet fly shop that I had never heard of. Found it only thanks to Google.
Increase the price by $10 and add the tube, you will still make your sales and profit.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is a very interesting read; had no idea TFO didn't include a rod tube of some sort. Hell, if Cabela's can include one with their $150.00 all in kits you'd think .........
brucerducer likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I never bought a TFO for this very reason. I think a fly rod should at least come with a cordura covered tube and a sock.