The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 02:51 PM

AnglerJS74 is on a distinguished road
Default New Guy

Just wanted to say 'hello' and introduce myself. Just joined NAFFF and just bought my first fly rod over the holidays which I can't wait to use. I've been fishing since I was big enough to hold a rod and spent most of my first 18 years fishing all over northern Virginia from the Potomac River to the Shenandoah Mtns. I currently live in southern California and after getting back into fishing a couple of years ago I decided I was ready to try the art of fly fishing. I've been told by many of my friends who fly fish that once I start I'll never want to pick up my spinning reels again... Look forward to sharing my experiences and learning from all.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: New Guy

Hi AnglerJS74,

Welcome to the forum. We have many California members.

Frank
Old 01-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi new guy, glad to see you, enjoy the forum.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-05-2008, 03:26 PM

fatguide is on a distinguished road

Welcome AnglerJS74;

You will enjoy being a member of this forum. The abundant knowledge you will find here will help shorten the learning curve to be pro-fish-ent in the sport.

Ask questions, we are here to help. Two things to know about this sport.

#1-The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.
#2-Fly fishing is a sport....it takes practice to be good at it. Art is something only a very few can master (and definitely not me). Elway's first pass didn't go for a touchdown.

Welcome again.

fish or DIE
Old 01-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatguide View Post
Welcome AnglerJS74;

You will enjoy being a member of this forum. The abundant knowledge you will find here will help shorten the learning curve to be pro-fish-ent in the sport.

Ask questions, we are here to help. Two things to know about this sport.

#1-The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.
#2-Fly fishing is a sport....it takes practice to be good at it. Art is something only a very few can master (and definitely not me). Elway's first pass didn't go for a touchdown.

Welcome again.

Are you a Bronco fan too? hope so.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Anglerjs74,

welcome to the group and to the most addicting sport in the world. looking forward to your input and questions.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 PM
ROVER is on a distinguished road

welcome... you'll find a wealth of good informaion here.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:30 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board AnglerJS74.

I am relatively new to fly fishing myself (6 months) and I can attest to your friends claims, once you start fly fishing, you will be reluctant to ever grab your spinning gear again. Whenever I thought about fly fishing, I naturally thought "trout", but you can use fly gear to catch anything you would with your spinning gear. I also thought it was for streams only. I learned you can have a blast in a large river, ponds, lakes, etc. I also thought fly fishing was strictly dry flies on the surface, but there are many more tehniques than just surface fishing with dries. I hope you find the same enjoyment I have.

P.S. Other than getting one-one lessons from an experienced friend or fly fishing instructor, this board is the best source of knowledge I have found. Ask a lot of questions, read up on old posts using the search function for topics you are interested in learning about.

Good Luck!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:39 PM

flyfishfever is on a distinguished road

Welcome, i just joined today and i already love this forum. Good luck on perfecting you fly rod and your drift.

Remember, As long as you have the perfect drift, you can succeed.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:28 PM

AnglerJS74 is on a distinguished road

Nice to hear from everyone. Can't wait to share some stories and pics.