The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 PM

rockyfly12 is on a distinguished road
Default Which book do you recommend?

Im pretty new to fly fishing, but i've become pretty obsessed. I want to expand my knowledge of the sport. Firstly, I would like to know which book you guys would recommend:

Presentation by Gary A. Borger
or
Presenting the Fly: A Practical Guide to the Most Important Element of Fly Fishing by Lefty Kreh

both are in my local library and I plan to check one of them out for awhile.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which book do you recommend?

First of all, welcome!

I haven't read either of those books but why make it an either/or? Just check them both out. Also don't forget inter-library loan. In Michigan I was able to check out books from all over the state, and here in Colorado I can get them from some of the surrounding states as well.

Books that I read where, Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing and Guide to Small Stream Fly Fishing, as well Prospecting for Trout and Reading Trout Streams. Beyond that, this forum, other info on the web, and youtube videos were very helpful. I'm sure others will have some good recommendations.
Guest1 and shotgunfly like this.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Thank you! im glad I found the forum, seems to be a lot of good info that can be spread around here. I'll check out both. The reason why I would have liked to narrow it down is because both books are in two different locations (we have like 8 library locations here in the Springs). I'll also check out that interlibrary loan, seems like that could be very helpful.
Thanks!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Since you are utilizing your public library look for a copy of 'Fly Fishing' by Tom McNally. Published 1978 / 79, of all the how to books I've ever seen this was what I used to learn the theory behind what I had been trying to do for the 10 or 11 years previous to reading the book. There are many books as you are aware but giving this one a read will be helpful perhaps.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Since you are utilizing your public library look for a copy of 'Fly Fishing' by Tom McNally. Published 1978 / 79, of all the how to books I've ever seen this was what I used to learn the theory behind what I had been trying to do for the 10 or 11 years previous to reading the book. There are many books as you are aware but giving this one a read will be helpful perhaps.

Ard
I searched the library site they dont have that, but ill try the interlibrary loan!
Thanks!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

You're Welcome,

The book is old but the information given on casting and reading a stream is ageless. McNally is long gone now but he was a somebody back in the day. He never reached the Rock Star level of recognition that some others have but he was I believe no less an expert. The book is well done and you may well enjoy it.

I would warn against 'The Complete Book of Fly Fishing' by the same author. This seems to be a compilation or rehash of much of his work, unfortunately when the editing was done you just can't get it all into one book. It comes up short of 'Fly Fishing'. I believe The Complete Book was a final effort to 'get paid' as it was released not too long before the author passed.

Ard

Old 10-07-2012, 03:03 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Or you can pick it up used.
Fly Fishing: Tom McNally: 9780060128685: Amazon.com: Books Fly Fishing: Tom McNally: 9780060128685: Amazon.com: Books
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Administrator

That's what I'm talking about It's worth owning your own copy. Over the years I have lent that book out to several people who were wanting to pick my brain and to learn to fish. I gave them the book and told them that fishing with me or alone would make a lot more sense after browsing the book for a while. Remember, the book is 33 years old so there isn't going to be a lot of information about large arbor reels and the newest rods in it. You will notice that old Tom caught some pretty big fish using Pflueger Medalist reels though All told I think his book is just as applicable today as it was when introduced. I stumbled across it when it was unveiled by The Outdoor Life Book Club and got the first edition. Without that event I may well have went on thrashing about thinking that somehow I would figure everything out on my own.

Thanks Tom,

Ard

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Rockyfly,

I used to live in CO. Springs so as you progress maybe you'll get in touch via PM and I'll tell you where I found the best fishing in the area.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:27 PM

jonf is on a distinguished road

Is this second edition similar to (i.e., as good as) the original?

The Complete Book of Fly Fishing: Tom McNally: 9780070456389: Amazon.com: Books The Complete Book of Fly Fishing: Tom McNally: 9780070456389: Amazon.com: Books
Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Hi jinf, and welcome to the forum

In my opinion, no. I addressed why I believe that in the previous post.

Copy:

[I would warn against 'The Complete Book of Fly Fishing' by the same author. This seems to be a compilation or rehash of much of his work, unfortunately when the editing was done you just can't get it all into one book. It comes up short of 'Fly Fishing'. I believe The Complete Book was a final effort to 'get paid' as it was released not too long before the author passed.]

Ard