The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 PM

skeet190zx is on a distinguished road
Default FLY REEL / Line ADVICE

I just recently purchased my frist Fly rod... (TFO BVK 9ft 6wt 4pc) I got a great deal on it $150. and from what I Have read online, its the best rod for the $$$.... I am mainly gong to be fishing for trout, panfish, smallmouth, and smaller largemouth bass. im looking for a good reel under $75 to go with this rod. I have heard not to spend much on reel, cause it just holds line.... which leads me to my second question.... What suggestions can ya'll give me for a good fly line... I would like a floating line.... any advice would be greatly apprecaited. thanks.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: FLY REEL / Line ADVICE

check out the okuma SLV 5/6
https://www.okumafishing.com/product.../fly-reels/slv
solid reel.

casey

ARFE
Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 AM

44runner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
check out the okuma SLV 5/6
https://www.okumafishing.com/product.../fly-reels/slv
solid reel.

casey
For the money that reel is hard to beat. You can get it for 60 bucks or less if you look around.

If you wanted to step up a bit I know you can get a Lamson Konic 2 on sale right now for $85. Great reel with a great drag system.

If there are some left, the original Redington Rise 5/6 reel have been on closeout for around $100. This reel is a great fully machined piece. I actually have this reel in all 4 weights and it is one tough piece. I know I dropped the 3/4 mounted to a rod directly on a rock on the Watauga this weekend and all that happened was 2 tiny marks in the finish. Durability is great on a machined reel versus a cast reel.

The line you should look at is the Rio Mainstream floating line. Good starting point around $40. I have a bunch of reels with this line. Its a good budget choice.

If you wanted to save a little coin you can normally find Cortland 333 line for 30 bucks or less. I hear it is also a good budget line but I have no personal experience with it.

There is also the Scientific Anglers Professional floating line which is their budget line. Its also $40 at most places.

Last edited by 44runner; 10-08-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Another very good line to help you is Scientific Anglers Mainstream.
It has a number of good features to help advance your skills and is pretty-much a premium line at a not-so premium price.
Mastery Series Headstart - Fly Lines - Lines
Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

I agree on the Okumua SLV, often found for around $50. Lately, I've purchased several Scientific Anglers Lefty Kreh Signature lines (several wts) and have been VERY happy with them. MSRP $40, have bought on ebay (shipped) as low $20.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

We all have lines we swear by and swear at, Iíve good luck and bad with 10 buck no name lines, youíre going for trout, panfish and bass, Scientific Anglers Air Cel line that they believe is good for all of those and is labeled as Bass line for 30 bucks. The Cortland 333 is a good line that I have used, also the Rio Mainstream Bass for 30 bucks. I use a different line for trout and a different one to bass and panfish, as you travel down this road youíll fine the differences in the lines you use. Be sure to get a spare reel spool or two or three.

Rick
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road

I've used the Cortland 333+ line. I like it. I don't much care for the 444.
I've heard good things about RIO mainstream and RIO Grand, but have not tried them.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:49 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

For budget lines you already have a lot of good advice. You can't go wrong with RIO or Scientific Anglers. Their (SA) Supra is really nice for the price.

I have always heard good things about Rio Headstart and Scientific Anglers Lefty Kreh fly line.

If you want to spend a little more, SA makes the "Mastery Trout" series.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM

skeet190zx is on a distinguished road

thank you for all your advice, I will look into the reels, I saw the Okuma SLV 5/6 on post here for 58.99 no tax... so might not be a bad option... thanks again!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 PM

fly_or_die is on a distinguished road

I have the same BVK rod as you and I fish with the scientific anglers headstart line. It's a very good line IMHO, it's a half weight heavy and loads the BVK nicely. It also turns of smallmouth poppers and flies easily. You can get it for around $45. I also find it to be very accurate.