The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 PM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough
Default Suggestion on Simms waders?

I'm looking at purchasing a pair of Simms waders and was looking to see at what price point/model anyone would suggest. I usually fish 2-4 days a month were waders are used; in all seasons.

I went into Feather Craft here in StL and tried several models on and now I want a pair. My cheap pair of breathables have been patched a few to many times(will be back up). It's turning a little cooler here in MO and I love to fish when not so crowded on the streams. Water on the inside is never a good thing.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Suggestion on Simms waders?

When it comes to Simms, you basically need to determine what price you're comfortable spending.

I'd also recommend comparing similar models by other companies just to see if you can get a better deal. Nothing at all wrong with Simms, as they have some great waders, but I'd never limit myself to just one brand when there are plenty of other quality manufacturers out there.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I agree 100% with Ted. if you have an Orvis store nearby, never count them out. Many people use the waders sold by Cabela's also, the rub there is that you can't try them on prior to purchase unless you've got a store near by.

Currently I'm using a pair of Simms G3 waders. I have had good service from Hodgman, Orvis, LL Bean, Red Ball and Seal Dri waders over the years Provided this pair of Simms meet my expectations based on their cost I will probably buy another when these are done.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 PM

gutz1 is on a distinguished road

Agreed. If it's in your price range, the headwaters wader is a great wader that gets you gore-tex and is made in Montana. The extra abrasion resistance feels pretty good, too.

But it's almost priceless for the easy-to-take-a-leak patagonia suspender system (i don't have them but often wish i did for that reason alone).

Definitely check out clearances on all sorts of brands, too. Wader technology doesn't really change very often.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

Fit is critical. That is why I went with the Simms G3 Guide Waders. I am 6 ft 1 in with short legs (32 inch inseam) and have a size 13 foot.

The G3 and G4 are the only waders I know of on the market that have a range of sizes close enough to fit me. If you are an average size guy with a size 10 shoe, any of the models are probably great. Simms are reliable, good service and quality products across the board.

Simmsfishing.com Size Chart
Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for the G3....the best waders I've ever had....and I worn out " a few pairs"
Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Up till this year I thought it was insane to go around in a $300 pair of waders. That being said, I love my Simms waders. I still think it's nuts to pay that much. I got mine on a closeout for $79. I'd wear flip flops and swim shorts before I paid $300 for waders.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 AM

dryfly661 is on a distinguished road

add another for the Simms G3's. love these waders!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I went with the Simms Headwaters, which are their cheapest USA made GoreTex model. It has served me well so far through many trips in hard use conditions (bushwhacking through thick stream side brush, crawling on the knees and fishing in Icy conditions)

I can personally attest to their breathability, this summer I was fishing a local stream with my wife and was comfortable in the high heat / humidity while she was pretty steamed up in her Simms Blackfoot model (non-Goretex)

Ultimately, fit trumps everything else. I spent a lot of time trying various brands before buying the Headwaters. Also, I purchased them through a local fly shop.

Finally, Simms is offering the current Headwaters model on sale at many Fly Shops.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Being an anti-brand loyalty type I eschew brand and buy by fit and price. Trying waders on is key but gravel cuff and suspender design is important and I like fleecy hand warmer pockets. Most all except the upper end Simms are made in the same city in China anyway and I must admit that with the exception of discontinued US-made LL Bean, Gore-Tex Bomb Proof waders, the Simms G3's are the most comfortable ones I have owned...they didn't last a season longer than any of the Chinese ones I have had though and the record for longevity went to a Korean-made wader called Gillie Gear, long out of business now. Waders like fly lines and tippet material are disposable products but one makes you comfortable, another makes your rod cast better and the last presents your fly so buy what works for you not by the label on the bib. PS: Simms has changed some of their wader models and may be having a sale on discontinued models.