The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 PM

gutz1 is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking about switching it up

I'm thinking about getting a 7ish weight rod. Using it mainly for streamer fishing and lakes with or without my ponton for larger fish but would also like to have it as an option for a rare steelhead trip or something (but not sure how often that would realistically happen). I'm thinking 11ish feet.

Anyone with a switch wish they would just have gone with a std 9' rig or full spey setup instead? Or super happy they are slaying some northerns by getting out just that little bit of extra line?

In an ideal world I would be able to try out all 3 types or rods, but that's probably not a viable option. Let me know you're thinking.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about switching it up

I used to own a switch rod, but I ended up selling it. I mostly used it as a compact Spey rod. I did not nymph fish with it much. Whenever I nymph fished, I liked the lighter feel of a single hander. Plus I found for the waters that I fish, a full length Spey rod was what I needed.

Dennis
Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 7 wt, 10 ft Sage z-axis that I use for throwing streamers and when I'm targeting big trout (like on the Missouri river in the spring). Love that rod.

Larry

Old 10-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

All of the fellows I've met who were using a Switch indicated that they were going to go to a longer 'Spey' rod. If in fact you are going to be doing overhead casting for distance a rod like Larry described sounds like it would be easier for a full days casting. However, for fishing medium size rivers & large creeks the Switch rod may provide the distance you can use but you will end up having to learn Spey casting skills. With that in mind you might want to go to the longer Spey rod.

If you are looking for something to throw dry flies long range on still water I have never found an easy way to do it with any rod. If you are fishing wets on still water and have plenty of back cast room then an overhead cast with Switch or Spey can get it done with a single back cast once you develop the technique. You mentioned using a pontoon boat at times; remember this, the long rods make landing a fish from any type watercraft harder. Heck, when I'm wading close to shore with a Spey rod I have to drag every fish to the shoreline and then figure out the logistics to handle things from that point. You get a method down that works and I have figured it out pretty well but I would caution that when you first start with either a Switch or Spey, be very careful not to break that rod. The temptation to lay it down while handling a fish is great. Sometimes in certain conditions you must lay the rod down, just be careful.

Another caution if you decide to go to the big sticks; regardless of how you chose to learn casting there are 2 major dangers besides stepping on a rod while handling a fish. The 2 I hear the most are, hitting the rod tip with the fly / hook, a weight, or hitting yourself.

Do keep us informed of which you choose and of how you're doing with the new rig. Everyone here will be happy to answer whatever we can as you ask.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to what Ard just said. 99% of my fishing is with a two hander. Usually have a Sage 10' XP for 'close in work.' Just my .02 cents here but I consider any rod built with a reasonable lower handle from 10' to 12 ' to be a switch rod. Over that and you're talking 'spey rod.'

And there in hangs the rub, and why I've always got a (11') switch on the Jeep. Fishing under 40 feet out can be a real pain with a longer rod unless you've got a very short compact head for a line (needed grains in a shorter run of line). For this type of fishing I'll use the XP and just do 'spey casts' with the thing. Rod doesn't know, rod doesn't care. Works fine, but you're limited to a full floating line? (Don't have a 'mini-tip' sinking head line to experiment with.)

From 30 to 60-70 feet the 'switch' shines. Full floater, poly sink tips, etc., you're off and running. Casts over that, and you can, but ?????? Under gunned rod wise? Last thought is the 'switch' works well fishing off a pontoon or DB.

Again, just what I do ......
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM

Thanks for all the info everyone. It looks like I will have a chance after all to try some steelhead spey fishing in a couple of weeks in WA.

I'm looking forward to see how it goes and I'll keep you updated on how it works out.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:40 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

What water are you going to fish in WA?

fae
Old 10-15-2012, 01:17 PM

I'm going to be in Omak so I'll give the fishing a whirl on the Okanogan River.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM

Been years, but loved that stream.
Fred