The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Local Fly Shop or Buy Online?

Here in the NE we have our annual Somerset Fly Fishing Show. Most shops in NY, NJ and even further afield have booths there along with manufacturers. I love to buy tying materials at Somerset because I can pick by hand exactly what I am looking for and discover what I did not know existed and experiment. If I want weirdo EP fibers...I go right to Enrico himself! Regarding the individual shops, while I vist them for fun and stories I primarily focus on the destination shops where I fish. In Craig, MT there is no traffic lights but there are THREE cool fly shops!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:07 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Unless it saves me tons of money I buy locally.

Example I ordered bulk beads the other day. I got 1500 various brass beads and 600 various tungsten beads shipped to my door for $150 .That would have cost at least $350 locally. I am all for supporting local small business, but there are times when you just have to go to a whte box bulk distributor.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:48 PM

balenciaga is on a distinguished road

my local orvis store employees are such turds. i just go thru orvis direct
Old 10-13-2012, 11:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am fortunate to have a full service local fly shop that is a ten minute drive from the house. Here are a couple of pictures why I go.

Fly Tying - There is a big table for fly tiers to get together. On any given day, there can be a shop regular tying flies. At shop functions, the tiers come out of the woodwork.

Click the image to open in full size.

Free Bratwursts Twice a Year - I ate five of them today.

Click the image to open in full size.

Dennis
mcnerney and mrfzx like this.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 AM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

There were two "local" shops within an hour of where I live, both went belly up. One didnt last a month, he catered strictly to the Capt's who guided locally and would not order anything that didnt pertain to a tarpon or a 10wt. even if I offered to pay before he ordered. The other shop was very obliging. He would lend out rods and lines for your search for the right outfit. He gave free impromptu casting lessons in the parking lot. For mysterious reasons his father closed the doors from 5 states away and rumors flew about why. There is a shop for lack of a better term just 10 minutes away on Boca Grande. Its impossible to buy anything not pertaining to tarpon or shark there. Its more clothing than fishing. Lessons can be had for no less than $350. No tying supplies are sold and the only flies worth using according to them are those they sell, made by the "expert" Capt.'s. They'll tell you its impossible to catch fish locally unless one of the Capt.'s takes you. I'm sick to death of local shops. I'm sick to death of walking in to see the same guides who demand I leave their secret snook hole that Ive been fishing for 45 years, try to sell me tarpon sized gear for bass. I'll stick to the internet from now on.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:07 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
In Craig, MT there is no traffic lights but there are THREE cool fly shops!
Yep, those kinds of places!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:59 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Sweetandsalt - there may be three shops but ones only worth going to. HEADHUNTERS

Almost all my money goes to those guys when it comes to fly fishing gear. They actually seem to care about you and get to know you personally. Its nice to go there and just know the people when you walk in the door.

So most of my money goes to headhunters when I spend it on fly fishing gear. The only time I don't spend it there is buying tying material which ill go to the trout shop, there great people as well nothing bad to say about them. If the trout shop doesn't have it ill go to the interweb.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 10-15-2012, 10:30 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Here in the NE we have our annual Somerset Fly Fishing Show. Most shops in NY, NJ and even further afield have booths there along with manufacturers. I love to buy tying materials at Somerset because I can pick by hand exactly what I am looking for and discover what I did not know existed and experiment. If I want weirdo EP fibers...I go right to Enrico himself! Regarding the individual shops, while I vist them for fun and stories I primarily focus on the destination shops where I fish. In Craig, MT there is no traffic lights but there are THREE cool fly shops!
Sweet...if ou come to that show again this year, come look me up! I'll be in the "4 Points" Booth.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

And I will be in the Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing booth...or wandering about doing "research".