The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 12:37 PM

ebelcak is on a distinguished road
Default Early November Trout Help

I have the opportunity to do some mountain stream fishing in the Smokies this November (Little Pigeon River for anyone familiar with it). I'm mostly a flats guy, with some stream experience but never in November. So I was wondering what patterns I should be using, should I stick with dry or wet, that sort of thing. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Early November Trout Help

Really depends on the weather if its warms up during the middle of the day you should be seeing fish on a dries like a BWO or EHC,but i would probably plan on fishing a nymph pattern,Like a GRHE,PT,Prince,Copper John,maybe even a streamer buggers in black,olive,and brown.If weather holds should be some good fishing.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Early November Trout Help

Stimulator hit it on the head with his reco on the fly patterns. I just came back from the GSMP and fished several streams (large and small). Best success was with a dry-dropper rig (terrestrial or EHC + beaded Nymph). Another good one is a small streamer + beaded Nymph. The GSMP trout aren't terribly picky...stay hidden, make a good drag free drift and you will catch one in every pool.
The Brookies and Browns are presently spawning so please exercise caution where you step...in fact I try to minimize wading since the trout are pretty skittish and the streams are pretty small.