The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 PM

rockyfly12 is on a distinguished road
Default Nymph Fishing stillwater

Hello all,

Im pretty new to fly fishing. I probably have around 15-20 days on the water so far now, all fished in rivers. This friday an sunday, I plan on fishing one of the lakes on Pikes Peak. I've never fly fished still water before, which brings me to my question. What kind of setup should I use for stillwater nymphing. Ill be fishing from shore both days. Usually when I nymph I use a thingamabobber for an indicator and a double nymph setup along with a weight. Im not the greatest at nymph fishing either. I've caught way more fish on dries. But thats not to say that I dont want to improve! So what kind of rig and methods do you use while stillwater nymph fishing? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM

double dry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nymph Fishing stillwater

RK12,

Although you can certainly nymph stillwater, you might be better served to run a large dry fly and drop a couple of bugs down below it. Maybe a hopper, beetle or similar dry, and about 18-24" drop your first nymph, maybe a damsel nymph. Below the damsel (10" or so) you can tie a chironomid or the like.

If you are dead set on straight nymphing, I'd try to decide the depth of the weedline and work to put my nymphs just above the weeds. Watch for cruising fish, and how they are eating and adjust up from there.

I haven't fished a lake this late in the year in a long time. I'm sure others will chime in to help out with bug selection.

Have fun.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM

flytyingcompany is on a distinguished road

Just over the pond, we tend to use buzzers (inc shipmans), diawl bach's, crunchers etc. A long tippet is always a good option for still waters. I tend to pop a diawl bach on the point and have a couple of buzzers as droppers.

techniques, once I have shot the line out, I tend to retrieve any slack out of the tippet and allow the flies to sink a little. Then use a figure of eight retrieve to work them back through the water.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Stillwater fishing takes a bit more patience. Keep your fly in the water longer, and don't cast more than necessary! Give the fly a twitch after waiting if you don't get a bite.
If you see a rising fish, but can't tell which direction it is heading, just pick a side. Your odds are 50% on picking the correct side!

callibaetis, chironimids, midges. Go smaller this late in the year, #16-22.
If you are fishing for brooks or cutthroat you should do well with a small elk caddis(#16) or smaller mayfly on top. Something that looks like a beetle or a moth will work as an indicator dry pretty late into the season.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I do a lot of stillwater fishing with nymphs, tbblom has some good advice on this, and dry droppers can be successful. I fish high altitude lakes here in Reno for the most part from a tube or boat, but do occasionally fish standing in waist deep water. Depending on how far you can cast, another thing that has worked for me are hares ears or sheep creek specials, toss em out as far as you can, let them sink for 20 or 30 seconds, give em a quick short tug (3 inches or so), pause for 5 to 10 secs so they sink again, then another short tug and pause, do this all the way in to about 10 feet of floating line still on the water, lift, pause, and then do it again. Fan your casts working an area, then move 10 feet or so and do it again. If you see fish rising - pick a side like tbblom said - best guess.

I typically fish a 9 foot leader or a 7 foot leader with 2 or 3 feet of 4lb tippet added. if the above does not catch fish, or at least make you tick a weed every now and then, pause longer initially, let that fly get down to the weed tops, then tug and pause.

If your gonna fish weeds you need to fish something that looks like it belongs in the weeds - a stillwater nymph, hares ear or sheeps creek will usually do the trick, if not go to smaller midges 16-18 is as small as my eyes will still let me fish comfortably and I catch my share of fish.

Dave
mcnerney, bigtone1411 and busbus like this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Good advice ,and use alot of maribou in your nymphs,move them slowly and good luck.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:34 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I agree with webrx's technique. Also, when needed, I use a clear intermediate line or a type 3 sinking ling to get the flies deeper.

Tony
Old 10-11-2012, 07:05 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

PM Joni and ask her to post on this thead.

Pocono
Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what has been said. If I am shore fishing and not sure the depth of where I will be casting, I like the Dry Dropper set up. This time of year, Chironomids seem iffy for me, but that is not to say they don't work. As mentioned - go smaller. Zebra Midges.
My favorite go to right now, a 5 foot furled leader greased to float. I then take 4 or 5' of tippet and attach. I attach a 12" tag about 12" down from the ring on the leader, so I have two feet for the tag and a dropper of 3' or 4'. This way they both float freely, but you can still see the take on the dropper. I use a #16 Elk Hair and for the dropper, a #18 bead head Prince. Been very effective.
But, to fish nymph only, I would still use this set up. Attach nymphs, buzzers, chironomids, even a bugger on the dropper. Place the indicator where I think the bottom fly will be suspended. I start with 5 and vary depth.
Most my stillwater is done from a Pontoon, but I love shore fishing too.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:15 AM

cjam93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by double dry View Post
RK12,

Although you can certainly nymph stillwater, you might be better served to run a large dry fly and drop a couple of bugs down below it. Maybe a hopper, beetle or similar dry, and about 18-24" drop your first nymph, maybe a damsel nymph. Below the damsel (10" or so) you can tie a chironomid or the like.

Have fun.

Hey guys not trying to high jack the thread but had a quick question. I understand what a dry dropper is, but out of everywhere that I am reading I have only seen people talk about putting one nymph under their dry fly. But is it actually ok to put more than one nymph under a dry fly? Also how would you fish one with multiple nymphs? Slow retrieve and let it set then another slow retrieve? thanks guys!