The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By flyfisherz
  • 1 Post By dillon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 PM

flyfisherz will become famous soon enough
Default Stories and Reflections on Fly Fishing

Hello all!

I know most of the posts are questions/answers with regards to fly fishing, so I decided to mix it up and ask everyone to share some stories regarding their best memories related to fly fishing as well as share some of my own stories and thoughts.

A quite powerful memory I have is from when I was about 5 years old and I caught one of my first native brook trout with my dad. I can vividly remember quietly sneaking up behind a pine tree whose roots clung over the edge of the small Pennsylvania mountain stream and looking over the edge as my dad helped me lower the line. Peering over the edge into the fast-moving water (no more than 6 inches deep) I wondered if my dad could possibly be correct in claiming that there was a brook trout under the embankment. To my ecstatic surprise, only a few seconds after lowering the line, I felt a tug, and, of course as a stunned five-year old fishing, pulled the pole up quite hard. I was thrilled, and the three-inch brookie was likely even more thrilled as he flew up out of his natural habitat, shaking both droplets of water and the hook off in midair. The small trout quickly disappeared into the fast-moving water, the experience ending as soon as it begun, yet the memory lasting a lifetime.

As much as I enjoy catching fish while fly-fishing, I also enjoy the beauty of pristine land and the sound of the water, so for me its still fun to fish even when I don't catch anything. I actually always go home empty handed, (due to catch and release of course) but I never go home without enjoying the experience. I only get to fish in the summers now due to college, but that allows me to enjoy the times I can fish even more.

Feel free to share your own stories and thoughts on fly fishing!

Tight lines
Zach
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice
Default Re: Stories and Reflections on Fly Fishing

Honestly, my wife started fly fishing this year so every time we are on the water is special to me. Just don't tell her! Besides that, I really enjoy getting new people to try fly fishing especially when I get them on to some fish!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey there Zach,

This is the first post from you I've spotted and it's a nice one at that. Please forgive me for not adding a tale or two onto the thread but I've stuck a lot of them around here over the years. Welcome to the forum, and I'll look for you now.

Ard

PS, If you check the blog under my posting details you'll find some stories from me there. You may want to consider starting one of these here yourself, threads have a way of getting buried

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

My favorite memory is of my first bonefish. It was on a flat in key biscayne. 5 hours of fishing without seeing anything. My fishing buddy and I were wading back to land when I spotted a large grey fish chasing something in about a foot of water. I tried to cAst and my fly line wrapped around my rod tip. Murmurs law. I frantically unwrapped it and fired of a ****** cast. As my fly descended I saw it turn and pounce. I didn't feel the bite but I saw it. I alset the hook and it took off. My reeks drag was broken so I had to palm it. He made two long runs then dogged it out for another 5 minutes. When he came to hand I let out a victory roar. It was amazing. I had no scale on me so I said I have to scale this. So I placed it next to my fly rod and put the tail on the butt and cut into the epoxy where the nose was. 25 1/4 inches I have no pictures but I don't need them. I will always remember this moment. Btw I did revive the fish and it actually swam with my friend and I for a minute or two.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Forever etched in my memory, the first steelhead hooked on a skated dry fly, turned and never to be seen again. Over thirty years later, still haunting and bringing me back...
woodrivertroutbum likes this.