The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 AM

hawgbrown is on a distinguished road
Default Colorado Legend- DEL CANTY

Dear Friends,

I am trying to learn more about the passing of once great friend and true fly fishing legend, the great Del Canty of Leadville, Colorado. Talk about making a solid impression on a young guy(me). I met Del at a ISE/International Sportsmens Expo in Denver in the early '80's and the photos of 20+ lb Browns/Bows from his Lunker Hunter tube while casting all night on these large Western impoundments made me go lose sleep!! I lost contact with him and then later learned of this great mans passing.

Anyone with info regarding Del's passing is most appreciated. I will never forget those precious moments when I sat with Lee Wulff on my right and Del on my left talking about the one's "that got away from them"!!!

*All info kept in close confidence.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:33 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Colorado Legend- DEL CANTY

I hadn't heard, but I'm checking. I fished with him a few times in the 80's, listened to his stories a bunch of times, learned from his tips, and really admired him, especially when I was a young teen when he was fishing the Gorge and Colorado hard and often. He always shared his "secrets" with me if I asked. As a Flaming Gorge resident for the last 20+ years, I still think of him when I look to or fish the wind-blown Antelope Flat shoreline where he caught many of his giant fish from here. I can see him bobbing about in the tube, walking up the shoreline or ramp soaking wet, but covered in "rubbers" and duck fins. What a guy. He'll be missed, but never forgotten.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I was contacted several weeks ago through this forum about Dels passing by someone who had guided and fished with him .No details but he does browse this site so hopefully he may supply more info. Heck of a flyman!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-12-2012, 11:26 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I met Del in a parking lot along the South Platte River. I was on a fishing trip with my good friend Jim Greenlee.

He wanted a meeting with Jim, who financed several fly fishing companies (Islander Reels, Korkers, and Streamborn of Canada that cofounded TFO fly rods). Del had designed a light weight float tube for backpacking. I remember that it has welded seams and was yellow.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 AM

hawgbrown is on a distinguished road

Appreciate your times guys a bunch. Del was a awesome guy. Keep this in mind and if you learn anymore, hit me at lxmathews@hotmail.com

Jim, LOVE to hear more about those days at the Gorge!! Ahhhh the memories!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I cannot verify this. Does anyone have direct knowledge.

I live less than 30 miles from him and cannot find anyone who knows or an obit in his local paper.

I am still checking.

This is a Del Canty raised fish I caught at his place one time.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is a real bummer if it's true. He's a neat fellow.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I, nor any of my contacts who know him in one form or another, can either verify or discredit this. Some have tried to contact family members as well. I'm reserving any judgement for now, and hoping he's just off the radar or something. Any confirmed, credible updates would be appreciated from anyone reading. I'll post anything I hear from good sources, and cite the source.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Del Canty is alive! Just heard from one of his friends and he moved to a different area in Colorado! He is getting together with him after ice out and will get some pics. Good to hear he's still a living legend!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

The last time I fished his place in leadville, he said he was moving to Delta and I believe he was planning on opening either an aquarium or museum. You guys might search for him there.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

He moved from Delta, we could not get a hold of him. Not sure where he landed?