The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default High-density feedlot fly fishing

Hi, another thread I just read made me think about this.

Question: How do you fish at one of those stocked, ring the bell @ 6:45 am, shoulder-to-shoulder trout streams? Do you just overhead cast and stand there for a 1 foot drift? Do you just cast and wait 2 seconds and then cast again? What is going on when I see this? For example, look at this one from Missouri, 2nd image:

Missouri Trout Fishermen's Association / Photos / Miscellaneous

How do you not hit the guy next to you?

Thanks,

TB
busbus likes this.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High-density feedlot fly fishing

It's beyond my understanding how that could be considered fun.
I go out of my way to avoid such madness.

I rather fish by myself with no chance of a trout than fight the crowds like that.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:52 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

There is a river in Ohio that looks a lot like that during a walleye run. Shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of fishermen.

100% no thanks - not for me.

Here in suburban Chicago, there are a few forest preserve lakes that are stocked with trout and will also look very similar to this. It's awful.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:17 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

pfft if you think thats alot of people in that second picture you are mistaken. I have been there and seen it when its literally shoulder to shoulder, rubbing against the guy next to you.

In MO we have streams that will support trout, but not year round at the sizes people want to fish for and eat.

There is alot of I like to call, combat fishing. You get to the water early and go stand in your spot so no one takes it. generally there is enough room that you are 10-15 feet apart from each other. The horn goes off, the lines go out and hungry fish are caught. You catch your 4, go back to camp, have breakfast and then chill the rest of the day. But yes there are tangles, not as many as youd think and generally people are pretty friendly about it.

OR you are like me and get to the water whenever you make it, generally after the horn. You sneak in and out of people catching fish they have been trying to catch for 20 minutes, release it and move on to another spot. Then after breakfast you go to the less popular spots and keep fishing C&R and eventually you move out of the parks to where the fish are "wild" and you enjoy solitude. A fine cigar is also a good way to clear out an area of people or lose loops fly casts

Fishing for trout like that is just how it is in MO. Its the way to has been and the way it will be. It gets people out there and generates money for the MDC.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

My thought exactly! That is why I am hesitant to take a guy up on his offer to go to Lake Erie and do some steelhead fishing. I hear the streams are like that all winter.

I cannot see how that is fun in the least.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I've watched a line of guys doing the sockeye plop or whatever they call that little water load cast they do up there...I knew guys in that line-up fishing bare Gamagatsu hooks, just lining the fish, pure and simple.

Not for me on any number of levels...I found a spot holding some nice dollies and passed on the salmon.

-m
Old 10-11-2012, 12:36 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I bet the Missouri Department of Conservation likes the crowd.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi TB,

I figure most of those people are using spinning & casting gear in those photos, not fly rods.

Rip Tide summed it up well, Better to be alone with no trout than to be in a spot like that.

Bus Bus,

Ever since the steelhead took root in the streams of Western PA. there have been quite a few people. As more and more articles ran and more shops started talking about it the streams went from OK to bad to pretty bad to worse. I haven't fished any since 2002 but it was obvious that more people were showing up every year. My last season there I used some strategy, on day one I hiked up the creek taking note of where the concentrations of people were. I also took careful notice of every spot I could locate steelhead hiding out. The next morning I was out well before daylight and went way up the creek. This gives you about an hour or 2 to get it done before people start to show up.

I only ever fished them in winter and early spring (March) and this cut the crowding a little. Also going mid week will help if you go out early.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I've watched a line of guys doing the sockeye plop or whatever they call that little water load cast they do up there...I knew guys in that line-up fishing bare Gamagatsu hooks, just lining the fish, pure and simple.

Not for me on any number of levels...I found a spot holding some nice dollies and passed on the salmon.

-m
That sounds like the Russian River and the Kenai below the confluence. When I talk to people who are planning to come here and they say "we're going to head to The Russian" I just shake my head. Where I fish there are not half a million salmon packed into the river but many times we don't see anyone else save for a passing boat...........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-11-2012, 01:01 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Do you just overhead cast and stand there for a 1 foot drift? Do you just cast and wait 2 seconds and then cast again?
That's exactly what they do in a few spots on Great Lakes tribs when kings are in. It's usually more of a flip than an overhead cast because of the amount of metal they're using. It truly is a gauntlet for the fish to get through. Good news is this never happens with more a 200 yard walk from the car.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi TB,

I figure most of those people are using spinning & casting gear in those photos, not fly rods.
That is true, however that is a fly fishing only part of the park. And in MDC terms a fly is a single hook lure with feathers and artifical materials. SOOO you can use a single hook rooster tail in a fly only area. Go up above the damn and its mostly guys with only fly rods.

here's something fun, if you ignore me and the brown, that damn in the background is the same as the one in your second picture

Click the image to open in full size.
biggie_robs likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher