The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By trout trekker
  • 2 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM

alanmikkelsen is on a distinguished road
Default Echo Rods & Reels?

I have about 30 years of fly fishing under my belt, but I've been away for about 15 years, gear fishing steelhead, salmon & smallmouth. I'm surprised ar the number of new manufacturers out there. I'm looking for a set of drift boat rods/reels for guests/clients, and was wondering if anyone had any experience/opinions on Echo reels/rods? (trout)
Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Echo Rods & Reels?

I have no experience with the reels but I have an Echo Carbon 2wt, Echo 2 saltwater 8wt and Echo 3 saltwater 9wt. I love them. I can't wait to try out more of their stuff.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

although i haven't fished any echo gear, my brother has an echo ion 10/12 reel on one of his spey rods and loves it

Click the image to open in full size.

i think i may have a spot for another reel

casey

ARFE
Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I bought one as a travel back-up and they just started multiplying.

Click the image to open in full size.

We still use our top shelf Scott and Sage rods, but these Echo 2's get as much time on the water now as any we own and we fish a lot. They're crisp but still have soul. Most of the time we use them on freestones, Sierra streams and rivers, some alpine lakes. Both indicator / nymphing and dry. They track very well. These tend to be true to line weight and toss a WF or DT Cortland 444 SL or S.A. Trout taper with authority. Occasionally I line one up with a line that goes a half a line size larger ( Rio Grand ) and the rods still perform well. But the crispness falls off a little. Some probably wouldn't notice the change.

Anyway, they are very nice trout rods.
TT
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmikkelsen View Post
I'm looking for a set of drift boat rods/reels for guests/clients, and was wondering if anyone had any experience/opinions on Echo reels/rods? (trout)
I am making the assumption that you are a guide.

First of all, I do not have experience with the current line of Echo rods and reels.

Here is a strategy that some guides employ.

Client rods take a beating. There is a good chance that you will have more than one rod broken in a season. Yep. It happens. Many guides will use TFO as their client rods. The main reason is turnaround for warranty repairs or replacement. TFO is usually the fastest in warranty because it usually replaces the whole rod if it doesn't have a replacement section that matches the broken piece. Plus the fee is rather inexpensive (I think that the fee is $25 vs $50 or more for other brands).

As for reels, some go with Ross for the same reason: fast turnaround time if a warranty issue arises. Ross will continue to make spare parts for its American made reels if the model is discontinued. Few reel companies do that. If I recall, Ross does not charge for any servicing.

Dennis
HuronRiverDan and mrfzx like this.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I too will make an assumption that you are in the Pacific North West. Rajeff Sports, the designer distributor of ECHO products, is located there as well. I am not a guide but I do fish out of a Clackacraft some for trout with my Portland based fishing partner. Though I purchased a 6-weight TFO BVK for drift boat applications, I replaced it this past season with an ECHO3 6-weight because it casts better. It is robustly built with big guides and quality components and, if I may, is not a high-tech specialty rod that demands expertise to cast well. Yes, it will reward skillful casting with remarkable performance but has a forgiving design character that is intentionally geared to offer feel and performance to anglers of divers skill development. I have not broken one of their rods so I don't know about turnaround time but I have a very favorable impression of their customer service. I know nothing about their reels and agree that Ross would be a fine choice. Incidentally, Rajeff Sports is also the US distributor for British "Airflo" fly lines which match up with their rods perfectly.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:02 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Yes, it will reward skillful casting with remarkable performance but has a forgiving design character that is intentionally geared to offer feel and performance to anglers of divers skill development. I have not broken one of their rods so I don't know about turnaround time but I have a very favorable impression of their customer service.
This matches with my Echo experience. I have fished the ION and own an Echo Classic 6 wt. I find their rods very easy to just pick up and fish and when I've called them with questions they have been both pleasant and helpful well beyond what you'd expect.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:24 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Mikel; I have an Echo 3 9' 5 wt. It cast perfectly if you like fast action rods (truly). Light weight, and green finished. I had a GLX, and according to me, the Echo cast better. You can easely cast more than 65 ft, but I never fish at this distance.

I also have Echo Ion reel 6/7 for big trouts, bass and light sea trout. Good drag system, light weight and for less than $80, hard to beat. But it's not the quality of Allen reels for exemple.

I plan to buy the Echo Ion 10' 7 wt for my trip to the Salmon river, and for light salmon on my local stream. You can't go wrong with Echo.