The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Wading boots Sizing question

Hi,

When you say "fit me best" do you mean they were snug like a street shoe? I ask because I've had both snug and loose fitting boots. Of the 2 I would point to the loose fit for better all day comfort. Now when I say loose I don't mean that my foot is sliding around in them, I just mean there is a wee bit of additional toe room. On a long day my feet are happier if they have a little wiggle room especially for the toes.

Ard
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

When you say "fit me best" do you mean they were snug like a street shoe? I ask because I've had both snug and loose fitting boots. Of the 2 I would point to the loose fit for better all day comfort. Now when I say loose I don't mean that my foot is sliding around in them, I just mean there is a wee bit of additional toe room. On a long day my feet are happier if they have a little wiggle room especially for the toes.

Ard
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:01 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

thanks guys, lots of good advice and i appreciate it
the reason i was asking about sizing from brand to brand difference, is because i already tried on orvis boots on with waders on in store.

but with wading boots, i've seen some good deals online (much better then instore) so i was thinking that i might order a pair online.
but i will check out my local shop that carries multiple brands and hopefully thy have a sale going on.
i did not know about thick socks trick. so i will do that as well.
as mainly i want my waders for cold weather.
because when i fish around So.Cal i just wet wade in my old skate shoes, (have too many, this is just another way to wear through them )

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,
When you say "fit me best" do you mean they were snug like a street shoe? I ask because I've had both snug and loose fitting boots.
Ard
ok, so with waders on:
13sz was too big, i could easily fit my thumb behind my ankle and boot
12sz better but i would still slide a finder between back of my ankle and the boot
11st nice snug fit, but i was still able to move my toes and if i tired to slide foot back and forth seems like there were few millimeters of space, so probably for a decent winter sock

btw, when you guys say thick sock, what kind of socks do you use in cold water?
can i use my snowbaording smartwool socks. ? i just never thought they were thick , in snowboard/ski boots you dont want the extra thick layers.?
any links/images as example would be great

thank you
Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 PM

dusty h is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
thanks guys, lots of good advice and i appreciate it
the reason i was asking about sizing from brand to brand difference, is because i already tried on orvis boots on with waders on in store.

but with wading boots, i've seen some good deals online (much better then instore) so i was thinking that i might order a pair online.
but i will check out my local shop that carries multiple brands and hopefully thy have a sale going on.
i did not know about thick socks trick. so i will do that as well.
as mainly i want my waders for cold weather.
because when i fish around So.Cal i just wet wade in my old skate shoes, (have too many, this is just another way to wear through them )

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

ok, so with waders on:
13sz was too big, i could easily fit my thumb behind my ankle and boot
12sz better but i would still slide a finder between back of my ankle and the boot
11st nice snug fit, but i was still able to move my toes and if i tired to slide foot back and forth seems like there were few millimeters of space, so probably for a decent winter sock

btw, when you guys say thick sock, what kind of socks do you use in cold water?
can i use my snowbaording smartwool socks. ? i just never thought they were thick , in snowboard/ski boots you dont want the extra thick layers.?
any links/images as example would be great

thank you
I wear my snowboard socks when its cold out as well and I think thats plenty. With the materials that are out there now thick doesnt necessarily mean its going to be warmer than a high quality snowboard sock (which are actually not all that thick) so I would say as long as your wading boots feel like they have enough room in them with your snowboard socks on you're probably good to go. Also depending on how much river you cover or walking you do keep in mind that your feet actually "swell" when your active and moving about so make sure that you size up if your boots are snug when you initially put them on. I made that mistake myself on the last pair of wading boots I bought. They were on sale and I probably needed size 12's but of course they did not have any left. The 11's fit snug with my waders on but i said to myself "they are alright, im sure they will pack out a little". Wrong! unlike shoes/snowboard boots etc. wading boots dont really pack out. Their isnt really a lot of material to comfort your foot in most boots except for cushioning in the sole so make sure you dont make the same mistake as I did.