The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 02:55 PM

cripiter is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for some advice.

Hey everyone,

My father recently passed on and left me his gear. I'm not really a fisherman, and to be honest neither was he.

I know his rod and reel are very nice and I would like to sell them to pay for some expenses. Only trouble is I don't know what I should be reasonably asking. I did some of my own research but all I've been finding is newer models. I'm not trying to hawk them here I was just hoping for a little insight from the experts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rod: Sage SP 586-3 Graphite IV B
Reel: House of Hardy Ultralight Disc #6 with an extra spool

Both have only seen a river twice and are in perfect condition. His plan was to give up golf and take up fly fishing but that didn't really pan out.
I'll put some pics up if that'll help.

Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:01 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking for some advice.

Sounds like some nice equipment. It's obviously your call as far as what to do with it, but if it were me I would do with it what he had intended. I'd learn it!

It sounds like you are trying to figure out value, and the best place that I would send you to is that big auction site.

Your items should pull in a pretty penny.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Haha, when I said I'm not really a fisherman, what I probably should have said was that I'm a vegetarian and don't fish anymore. I will say aside from golf some of my fondest memories of him are us pulling in perch and coho out of lake Michigan.
Now I'm more of a sit in the river with a beer and look at the fish type. Probably blasphemy around here. But I really do appreciate the response. They will probably end up on ebay but my aunts friend is a fly fisher and said he was interested. It would be nice to keep them close to the family.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Here are some pics:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripiter View Post
Now I'm more of a sit in the river with a beer and look at the fish type.
What do you think we all do ? Click the image to open in full size.
45fisher likes this.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I definitely agree with that...keep it as close as you can.

And just because you're a vegetarian doesn't mean you can't catch them! Just don't eat them!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
What do you think we all do ? Click the image to open in full size.

LOL Check and Mate!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Looking for some advice.

We wear rubber pants and funny hats and stand in the water all day waving a stick and some people don't even realize that there's drinking involved...
how cool is that !
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

We wear rubber pants and funny hats and stand in the water all day waving a stick and some people don't even realize that there's drinking involved...
how cool is that !
The water part makes it OK. When you do it without the water, might be time to cut back on the drinking.

I'd watch Ebay for a while and see what they go for over there. After you get a good idea of what they go for, maybe either list them or run them over to a local fly shop. I'd be sure of what you should expect to get for them before you cut them loose though.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:58 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Nice Gear you have,I'd also use it,that way you would have fond memories of your Dad whenever you did so.
I'll add to what The Others have mentioned,Catching a Fish is The Real Bonus,also you don't have to eat Them.
Nearly everyone I know who Fishes enjoys a Drink as well.
Cheers.
Brian.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:51 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Go to Ebay do a search for SP fly rod. Once there look down the left side of the page until you see the completed sales block and click there. All sales, or not sold, are there of SP rods, Those that sold are in Green while unsold are in red. Do the same for that Hardy --both are popular in the resale market and you should find that those both bring a nice price. $200-$300 for the Sage and not sure on the Hardy.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/