The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tbblom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 04:45 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default It had to happen sometime! (caught the big pink one)

A friend and I were fishing a section of river with streamers. I had enough split shot on to get the streamer down a bit in the flow.
Nearing time to leave, I decided to swap out the streamer for a scud and an egg, trailed behind the split shot.

If you have ever cast with a steep embankment at your back, you will understand the sort of steeple/roll cast that I was trying to accomplish with the heavily weighted nymph rig.
After several passes I messed one up good, and a felt a quick 'thwap' behind my ear (it was freezing and I could not feel my ear). I noticed I had tippet hanging over my shoulder; reached up and felt behind my ear and found I had received my first ever ear piercing by an egg hook. Full to the barb, the weight drove it in quick!
My friend had to do some field surgery for me. The barb was not going to come out of my ear the way it went in; I asked my friend to 'complete the hook set' and make an exit hole so he could mash the barb.

Not too much pain, but thinking about going barbless as a habit...
Noiso and crruns like this.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:52 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: It had to happen sometime! (caught the big pink one)

That's one more reason why I go all barbless, all the time.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's unfortunate. I've never broken skin myself.
I did one time catch a 1/0 right in the corner of my mouth. The gape fit perfectly over the lip
Old 10-13-2012, 05:07 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Ouch! Never a fun time when you give yourself a new piercing. While the severity of the puncture wounds might vary, I think most of us have probably done that at one time or another.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thats' a bad deal, this is where you need to learn and use the single hand Snap T cast. I do this cast with my Far & Fine with no back cast at all using as much as a 30" braided led head mid way in my leader. You can hit 40' like this once you get it down. The leader never goes behind you so you never have to worry about getting yourself.

You are the first person I've ever heard mention the Steeple Cast, that's old school.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

When my two oldest boys were young, I took them on a wilderness fishing trip to Canada. Got out to the out cabin, went out in the boat, rigged up one son, he cast and immediately sunk his fly in my cheek. That was bad enough, but he didn't get right away what I was trying to explain to him and tried to make a couple more false casts while the fly was imbedded in my cheek. Not a pleasant experience. Anyway, we went back to the out cabin, I got a scissors, a pliers and some beer and went to work pushing the hook through until I could grab the point and pull it out with the pliers. I've been barbless ever since that episode.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is making sense to go barbless!

Old 10-13-2012, 10:26 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

There needs to be a constant reminding of every angler in whatever way possible that pushing it through and snipping off the barb or mashing it is seldom necessary. It causes unnecessary pain and further wounds. LEARN THE ROPE TRICK! You can do it easily with fly line. Your partner could have done it on your ear, unless it was buried in hard cartilage. You can even do it yourself if the hook is imbedded somewhere where you can see it and can use both hands.

Manipulate the fly so the outside of the bend is up away from the skin. Loop the fly line around the inside of the bend, grasping both sides of the loop firmly with one hand and gently pulling the loop taut and away from the buried barb. With a finger of the other hand, push very firmly down on the eye of the hook, pushing it directly toward the buried barb. While holding it pushed down like that (which frees a channel for the barb to exit), give a very sharp, hard tug on the loop of fly line. The hook will pop out just about every time...in fact, I've had to perform this on myself and others seven or eight times and it's never yet failed. You will hardly feel the hook s it pops out. I've done it with big treble hooks that were buried in the ball of my big toe, my calf, my wife's elbow, and a fishing buddy's arm. I've also removed flies that I'd forgotten to mash the barb from my arm, the back of my buddy's neck, and the side of my thumb (that one was a little difficult since I was by myself and you need two free hands to do it, but I was able to reach the eye with my index finger of the same hand and rather awkwardly push it in the right direction). I wouldn't try it near an eye, or in a joint or somewhere else with possible organ or vein involvement, but in any meaty part of your anatomy it should work fine.

The most surprising thing is that few doctors, even those around popular fishing areas, know how to do this. I have a friend who is an avid angler and family physician, and he even refuses to believe it will work. Trust me, it will, and it will save pain and possible trips to emergency rooms.

Of course, the best solution is to thoroughly mash the barbs on all your flies. I still can't figure out why commercially tied flies aren't offered barbless to begin with.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:34 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Single handed snap-T? Sounds like I have some google searching to do...

I know about the rope trick, but I definitely could not get both hands on it. I tried to explain the principle of how it works to my friend, but I think I may have gotten cartilage. Even with the correct 'angle' it was just tugging on my ear

luckily ears don't have too many nerve endings I guess!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:07 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Caught the big pink one? OUCH!
I will never fly fish au natural again - barbless or not!
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach