The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 04:18 PM

cjam93 is on a distinguished road
Default Should a beginner use barbs or not?

Hey guys so I was wondering if it is better for a beginner to keep the barbs on his flies or not? thanks!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should a beginner use barbs or not?

Small hooks, 10 and less, yes. Bigger, no.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

Barbless. Easier to get out of you and your fishing buddies!
45fisher likes this.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Rusty makes a good point. No bad pun intended.

Last 'hook' out of me was a #4 ... don't ask, it was very dumb .... and the ER charged $600.00 to get it out of my hand, and I had to tell them how to do it.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Considering a beginner is far more likely to hook his own earlobe, I'd say it's even more reason to go barbless.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Considering a beginner is less likely to take a barbed hook out of a fish without mangling its face. . .

Barbs are a pain in the bottom. Fishing is much more fun without them. Any fish you might miss is made up for by the extra time you gain getting the hook out of the fish you land - thus the fly back in action more quickly!

Assuming it is legal where you are fishing, I would say only use barbs if you intend to kill and eat the fish. I have a policy of killing only non-natives or stockers, and I usually let those go because I would rather be fishing than cleaning and cooking fish.

Happy Halloween,

Click the image to open in full size.
tennessee dave likes this.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 PM

Ok cool thanks guys! Whats the best way to go about getting rid of barbs? I was thinking just smash them down with a vice?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjam93 View Post
Ok cool thanks guys! Whats the best way to go about getting rid of barbs? I was thinking just smash them down with a vice?
needle nose pliers or hemostats work well

casey

ARFE
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM

Alright thanks!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am late on this one but I say "smashed" Barb for newbies. Barbless are smooth and if you don't keep the tension on you will loose the fish, but by squishing the barb, you end up with a nice little bump. Also nice for tying a dropper to the bend. But they still come out easy and no fish or human mangling :-)
Noiso likes this.