The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default How far into the winter can you fish for trout in SW PA?

I hope you guys aren't sick of these ridiculous questions but how far into the winter is it feasible to fish for trout in streams? I am sure the fish are moving mighty slow when the temperature drops to a certain point. And what sort of bugs would be floating around in those cold months?

Another related stupid question: I have been reading (of course) and see that blue gill are fun to catch on the fly and provide good practice. My questions are as above: How long is it feasible to even try to catch them and what do you use?

Thanks,
ray
Old 10-15-2012, 03:50 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: How far into the winter can you fish for trout in SW PA?

up to Dec 31 i believe.
Last year i fished Dec 28 in Philly.
i used small nymphs, size 16 and 18

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-15-2012, 04:00 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if you're colder than us (Montana) or not.. but as long as the river stays clear, people here fish year round.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

All year long! I've fished for trout all winter as long as the stream stayed free of ice. Nymphing very slow and deliberate.
As far as gills go most ponds and lakes will freeze up but if you have open water deep and slow on the bottom is the late winter method. Most ice fisherman in my area fish for bluegills with ice flys that are basically just nymphs.
There is a small lake near me that last winter had some open water around the dam. By casting over the ice and dropping a weighted scud into the open water got a mess of gills for some good winter eating ! Only thing not much of a fight sliding them across the ice!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

geez, didn't know that.

But doesn't everything get all iced up? eyelets, line, your face....? How do you fish when everything is frozen? I also assume you don't change flies too often!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
geez, didn't know that.

But doesn't everything get all iced up? eyelets, line, your face....? How do you fish when everything is frozen? I also assume you don't change flies too often!
Part of the game. Depends on how badly you want to fish. Ice in the guides always a joy! Up to you!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
geez, didn't know that.

For certain! Last week when we floated the Green River, it was 19 degrees when we left the house, so ice in the guides was an issue for the first 3-4 hours of the float, but it was certainly worth the effort. We were dressed for the cold so that wasn't an issue, just kept having to clean the ice from guides every 3-4 casts.

Larry

Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 PM

well, that begs the question: does all that ice kill your line? I saw somebody say that you could spray PAM on your eyelets. Sort of makes sense but I would think that wold really gunk up your line, too.

Arrrgghhh. Why can't I be like the rest of the drones and watch sports on ESPN all the time instead if doing something like this?! My brain is starting to cramp.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

Here in Va I prep my rod for winter by washing it with soap & water rinsing it very good. Then use car wax on the rod & eyes. Before you start fishing spray the eyes with pam .Also try putting ( ice off ) on the first few feet of the line & maybe throw a set amount of line. It helps me.
Dennis
Old 10-15-2012, 06:55 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
All year long! I've fished for trout all winter as long as the stream stayed free of ice. Nymphing very slow and deliberate.
As far as gills go most ponds and lakes will freeze up but if you have open water deep and slow on the bottom is the late winter method. Most ice fisherman in my area fish for bluegills with ice flys that are basically just nymphs.
There is a small lake near me that last winter had some open water around the dam. By casting over the ice and dropping a weighted scud into the open water got a mess of gills for some good winter eating ! Only thing not much of a fight sliding them across the ice!
Do these trout that are fished for all year long, not spawn at all? I thought a season closes at some point to leave the fish alone to do their thing. I don't know though. Please enlighten me.