The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blood knot question

I learned the blood knot this summer and have made some leaders that I really like fishing. With fall upon us I wanted to make some short, heavy leaders for active retrieve streamer fishing.

The butt section is .024 Chameleon 40#. You can see my problem, I just cannot get it cinched tight. This is only 3 turns of .024 to 4 turns of .020.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: Blood knot question

Lip Balm the knot just before you draw it tight.
dean_mt likes this.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Make just 3 turns with each, spit on it, and snap it quick and very tight when you cinch it down, fast! Works for me even with 60 and 80 lb. (tarpon tippets)
jaybo41, dean_mt and brucerducer like this.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:10 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I've been drawing down sloooowly. I'll try lip balm and a snap...with gloves on! And then I'll report back.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Gloves or a pair of dish towels wrapped around the standing ends. It is hard to fully seat heavy material without putting so much pressure into the effort that it would hurt your hands. Generally I draw down mono and snap down fluoro.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I use a double surgeon's knot. It doesn't line up as well as a blood knot but sooo much easier to deal with. If you want to stick with the blood knot Lightline got it right, spit and pull.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The knot in the picture would have benefited from using pliers to draw up the tag ends
You can't properly set a bloodknot of that diameter without them.
I make 3 1/2 turns on both sides of that same size Maxima knot myself
dean_mt likes this.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:31 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dean,

Just a few thoughts you might want to consider.

When tying 3 wrap blood knots with heavy material, I first snug them up fairly well so the tags aren't going to slip out EDIT and it (the knot) is considerably shortened. Then I lube them up good (or not, if I can cinch them under water.)

To cinch, I place the knot directly over the crease between pinky and the palm of my left hand and wrap the standing line 2 or 3 times tightly around that hand.

Then I grab the other standing line loosely in my right hand then spin that hand to get two or three wraps around it (tightly) so that, after I got that hand wrapped, the pinky side of that hand is tightly touching the pinky side of the other hand all the way down to the wrist. You have to spin the hand the proper direction so the line goes out the pinky side in the palm.

The line is very tight coming across the palms of both hands to the knot. And the pinky sides of both hands are tightly touching all the way to the wrist. Both of these are critical.

When I close both hands, the knot is more or less centered between the palms of each hand (but this is not critical).

Then all you have to do is squeeze both hands tight (you will see none of the knot now) , lock both wrists and move your elbows out to the side. This will cause your two hands to roll away from each other across the knuckles - like your knuckles form two gears- spreading the pinky sides of your hands. It gives you trememdous leverage, and causes a smooth clinch because the standing ends are grasped so close to the knot.

All knots should be cinched when holding standing (or standing and tag ends both) as close to the knot as possible. This minimizes a jerky cinch which happens when you grab too far away from the knot becausee there is too much line stretch between the grasp point and the knot. You can hear or feel it when it happens.

When tying heavy material to hooks, a hook ring may be essential for some knots because they may need to be cinched with both pliers on the tag end with equal pressure applied to the standing end. The Lefty no slip loop being one of them. In a pinch, the hole in the end of toenail clippers will work for this if you can step on it.

When "fixing" a knot like that one pictured with pliers, I would wrap the standing line coming from the good end of the knot onto something so that I could pull on the standing end coming from the other side with one hand while pulling on the tag with pliers.
dean_mt likes this.

Last edited by wjc; 10-16-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks fellas, good advice.

Jim, that's some great detailed info. Last night I tried to "snap" a few tight and well, snap is exactly what I did to the lighter line. I got a couple of them to seat without breakage but it seems like it would take a lot of intuitive feel to get that right.

I figured if I could pull the tag at the same time as both standing ends I would have a better chance but short of yanking a tooth out I decided to forgo that one. I didn't have enough length to tie it off anywhere, using short practice pieces of material.

Thanks again everyone! I'll just keep practicing.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi John,

These guys are knot experts judging by the replies. While I admit not having to snug up too many heavy blood knots each year I use a pretty simple finishing step if I get one like you show. Using the saliva lube trick I pull the knot with steady but fairly swift pressure, if I get a lazy wrap like you have in the picture I use the thumb and middle fingers; the nail ends actually and trapping the back of the wraps between them I finish ch inching the knot. To paraphrase the late H. S. Thompson, 'Although I can't recommend this for everyone, it works for me'.

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;