The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 01:04 PM

chefdg is on a distinguished road
Default Spend extra money on waders, or put money towards new rod?

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum, but I have been lurking quite awhile. So first let me say sorry for asking another question about waders.

I am relatively new to fly fishing and mostly have waded warm water creeks/rivers searching out smallies. However, I am going to the Smokies for a week in November and fishing in shorts isn't going to cut it. And now that the water around home is cooling down, the temps aren't as inviting.

I have been looking into the new Orvis Sonic Seam waders for $259. I have also been looking into other brands (Cabela's mostly) for about $100 less in price. This will be my first pair of waders so I am wondering if I will know what I am missing by going with a less expensive pair. The biggest reason that I want to go with a cheaper pair is so that I can put the money saved towards a new 3wt rod.

That is my dilemma. I can afford the new Orvis waders, but I cannot afford both wader and fly rod. Thanks everyone. I love the site, and am learning a ton.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Spend extra money on waders, or put money towards new rod?

i have no answer,
but all i have to add is i will be picking up a pair of new ORVIS waders myself very soon.
and i also just ordered a new rod 3wt (just like what you're looking for)
Redington CT 3wt 7'6" 4 pc. for $64 on theclymb.com

with deal like that on a rod maybe you can afford both?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I would personally spend the money on the waders. I love getting new fly rods but I prefer to be comfortable while I am using them.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:05 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

My first pair of waders was a Cabelas boot foot variety. They were fine to start with but they began springing pinhole leaks. I'd search for them but couldn't find them to patch, but when I'd finish fishing my lower legs would be wet as would my socks. Annoying in decent weather, painful in the winter. I got LL Bean Rapid River stocking foot waders and have been very happy. Had one small issue with the first pair and was sent a second no questions asked. If you get an inexpensive pair, make sure the company will really stand behind them, that can be part of what you pay for with more expensive waders. That said, the Rapids Rivers are on sale.
imxer likes this.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to take a different approach here and ask what fly rods you currently have in your arsenal before I provide my response.

Ultimately my advice will be driven by what you really NEED vs. what you THINK you need or want.
Hardyreels and dean_mt like this.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:26 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Add a vote for the waders.

As much as I love to wet wade in quick drying pants all summer in the Sierra. The fact is, by November ( just a couple or weeks from now ), I’ll be back in my waders.

TT
williamhj likes this.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:45 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I echo jaybo's sentiment. What do you have for a rod and do you like it? Then decide how often you will actually use the waders, if it is only a handful of times each year when the season is winding down, then you can probably get away with less expensive waders. To answer your question, you probably will not know what you missing IF you can try them on first AND they are of reasonable quality. What you gain as you go up the wader chain is a better fit and more durability/breathability.

The standard S-M-L sizing of waders is usually based on your shoe size so the booty fits inside your wading boot. But they also have to have enough room for you to squat, kneel, sit down without threat of ripping/binding. Too much room and it's as uncomfortable as not enough room. A lot of waders are now sized by foot and long/short. On durability, if the $100 pair only lasts two seasons, but the $300 pair lasts 5, then you just losing money in the long run. 1 year warranty is not really a warranty in book. You are just spending a 100 bucks a year.

I say this from experience. I went through a few pairs of $150 waders before biting the bullet and buying a pair of $300+ Sage Guide waders...that was about 7 year ago so it was a pretty big investment at the time. I've never had a single issue and have put a lot days in those waders.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

I love my llbean waders, I find them comfortable and when they leak, llbean replaces them no questions asked
Old 10-16-2012, 04:34 PM

chefdg is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses do far everyone.

I like those Rapid River waders from LLBean. Unfortunately I think I would need the XL and they are out. With a 45" chest the XL king seems like it might be too big.

To answer the question about what rods I have. I have a 5wt and an 8wt. I have always loved fishing with an ultra light rig as I tend to fish for a lot of panfish in the pond where I work. So I thought the 3wt might make sense and be a lot of fun on the small bass in the same pond.

Thanks again for any input.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just my .02 cents, but most good brands of waders are just that ... good. Would I consider paying $700.00 - $900.00 for 'just one?' Not a Prayer in Hell.

Orvis, D. Bailey's, Reddingtons,' etc., are a very good product and you can buy two or three vs. the cost of the 'best of the very best.'

Save for 'one' all are made 'off shore' so pick the best 'We mean it warranty.'

Again, just my .02 cents.

fae
mcnerney likes this.