The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 05:35 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about
Default Ever go ultralight?

Did i ever tell you guys that this fly fishing thing is addicting? My birthday was Friday October 5th and on my way home from college I decided to stop by Bass Pro and just happened to browse the clearance rack back in the fly shop. Out of no where I spotted a couple two weights by TFO for a measly 86 bucks. I decided that, what the hell it was my birthday and all so I bought the rod and an Orvis batten-kill reel and waited for my SA supra line to come in the mail. A few days later the line came in and the next day I went fishing at a pond not even 2 minutes from campus and let loose. On the first cast I caught a fish it felt pretty decent on the new 2 weight. (pics added later) All and all I ended with 15 fish in the span of an hour (bluegill, and a few unidentifiable s) Needless to say I'm addicted to my 2 wt now so much so its my new truck rod. On a side note I'm thinking about taking a road trip up to broken bow or up to Colorado over winter break any suggestions?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever go ultralight?

Love my 2wt. Wonderful for small stream dry fly fishing, though I do toss nymphs with it too. Something about taking a nice brown trout on a 14 parachute adams that makes me smile. Do try to be careful not to fish for large fish with it, especially in the summer. Can take too long to land and wear them out.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I fished the Rio Grande in CO with a 1 wt for a couple days. Caught a 14" brown on it.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

I picked up a 7.5' 3 wt last year. My first fish was a 15" largemouth taken on a small popper. Yes, its addictive.... I take that rod with my on most trips now and love to break it out.

Tom
Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road

Bought and fished a 6.6' 3wt this fall. Took lots of stocker trout on them. Most were under 12 in., but oh what fun!! Hoping to take it out soon to throw some poppers on the rivers for google eye and assorted panfish.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:11 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I frequently use my 6'6" Scott F2 fiberglass rod on the tiny creeks here in western Nebraska. A 10 inch trout puts a nice bend in the rod, nearly doubling it over. When you hook the rare 15"+ monster in these tiny creeks, you are in for a battle. Light rods have their own time and place. I wouldn't even consider using the F2 at the tail water down the road.

-Chase
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaser View Post
On a side note I'm thinking about taking a road trip up to broken bow or up to Colorado over winter break any suggestions?
The Blue in OK is close enough for a day trip, though not as pretty as Broken Bow. I regretted even taking my 4711 LL up there on the day that I did, too windy and too much weight needed (though I may try again, just take a stiffer stick as a backup.

Hucking the junk one usually needs to for the stocker trout there, I generally take my sage 599. It's a little heavy, but then again they stock some huge fish, and I'd hate to be that guy that killed one of 'em, especially as long as the c&r section runs (check the regs).

Side note, there is a great group of guys in a yahoo group (blueriverflyfishers) that I'm on, and lots of great sportsmen there. They're always happy to offer tips, etc. to a new guy. I highly recommend joining, especially if you're in the DFW area. I've taken many Blue trips when I couldn't take an overnighter
Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My smallest stick is a 8'3" 3 weight. It is my favorite rod in my quiver.

Please continue to enjoy your new stick.

Dennis
Old 10-18-2012, 01:59 AM

FunkyFlyTying is on a distinguished road

One of my go to rods is a Scott G2 7ft 7" 2# and i just love it.
Perfect for the tight overgrown rivers that i fish in the UK.

T
Old 10-18-2012, 05:04 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first 3 wt. 6'6". Allen Myth.
Mind you I have to wait till April to christen it. Can't wait.