The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 05:36 PM

npcor2010 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie

I'm new to fly fishing and had my first day out this past weekend. What a blast. Even landed 13" rainbow which I released. I have one minor problem. I wear reading glasses and have to use them when I tie on a fly. I was able to stash them inside my waders but I know at some point I'm bound to lose them. Any suggestions other than surgery to this issue. Thanks much.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:59 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newbie

Check any gear site or catalog, you'll see flip-up magnafiers that clip to your sunglasses or hat brim so you don't have to risk your RX specs. If you prefer a full set of glasses, maybe a cheapie drug store pair on one of those foam retainers?

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 10-17-2012, 06:20 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum npcor
as far as your question regarding glasses, perhaps a crokies?

http://cotradeco.com/uploads/images/...blue_large.jpg

i love these for my glasses

casey

ARFE
Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Welcome to the forum.
Keep coming back, it works.

I use readers to tie on flies and to crimp barbs. I always put them in my vest pocket when I'm done. If I travel light I keep them in a pants or shirt pocket. Funny, I lost my lighted magnifier hat clip device when I fell in the river, but I have never lost my readers.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

If your vision is fine besides needing the readers to tie flies on, what about a pair of sunglasses with a built in magnifier on the lower portion?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

I also pull out the readers for really bad tangles - of 7X especially.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 10-17-2012, 11:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say welcome!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Eyes need hook and sun protection when fly fishing so get some good polarized sun glasses and buy the stick on bifocals sold at Walmart. Three problems solved as you'll be able to spot fish more easily also.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

npcor2010: Welcome to the forum! Looks like the others have given you some excellent choices on how to solve your vision problems. My eyesight isn't very good for closeup work either so I follow what Noiso suggested, just use readers in stow them in my shirt pocket.

Larry

Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Just a couple weeks ago, I found three packs of those reading glasses for $13 a three pack and bought two of them. I rarely need them, but when I do it's frustrating trying to remember where I last used them, so I now can usually find a pair pretty quickly even if my hippo isn't wearing them like he's supposed to be when I'm not.

Click the image to open in full size.