The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 AM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default trout on spinning gear

hi guys, i want to get into fly fishing but for now all i have is spinning gear. I usually catch bass but now im going for some trout. What would be some good tackle choices to catch trout on spinning gear.

JASON
Old 01-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: trout on spinning gear

A gob of worms on a barbed treble hook.

Just kidding folks.

Jason I'm not sure your gonna get many responses to your question here, but I would ask you to consider pinching your barbs and replacing treble hooks with a good quality nickle silver or chrome plated "single" hook.

J.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-07-2008, 05:51 PM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfn68 View Post
What would be some good tackle choices to catch trout on spinning gear.
JASON
What is spinning gear?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:52 PM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfn68 View Post
hi guys, i want to get into fly fishing but for now all i have is spinning gear. I usually catch bass but now im going for some trout. What would be some good tackle choices to catch trout on spinning gear.

JASON
Ok ok, a few of my friends would rather spin cast than fly fish, and they usually slay the trout on either all gold or all silver 1/4 ounce panther martins.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Worms and bobbers always seem to work for me. If you have a second rod stamp or wanna use lures red and white "Lil Devil" seems to worm too.

Randy
Old 01-07-2008, 09:04 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

Depending on whether you're fishing a lake or a stream.

Lakes - Color seems to be the key here. Power baits work well, but you need an assortment of colors to see what they are hitting on. Corn works if yellow is the color, wax worms work great if white is the color, and worms or fathead minnows are also a good option. Spinners work well if you dont want to bait and wait, usually a really small spinner works best.

Streams - most succes I have had, or heard of is with minnows or worms.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:38 PM

todd r is on a distinguished road

If you are river fishing the best bet is a spinner ( I like panther martin). I also use rainbow power bait, crickets, wax worms, mikes shrimp scented salmon eggs, etc.... The most important thing is hook size, I want a gold hook about the size of a piece of corn , can't rember the size but one salmon egg will hide the hook. I guess it could also depend on what area of the country you are fishing. If you get salmon eggs they will keep after they are open if you put them in the fridge. You want just enough weight to cast so that the bait will move along with the current.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:10 AM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

With ultralight spin tackle, you can assemble a fishable nymphing rig. Using one of those bobbers that you can partially fill with water gives you some weight to cast and becomes your strike indicator. From there you assemble a typical nymph rig with shot above a tippet knot and 10-14" to the first nymph.
Line control is tricky.

On top of all the good stuff already mentioned by others, I have had success with Rooster Tails and silver/blue Kastmasters. Those little suspending broken back Rapala minnows can be good too (stillwater).
Old 01-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'll add one spinner that works well for me, Don't tell anybody. LOL

A silver "Vibrax" #2 or #3, they are made by Blue fox.

Comes with a nice chrome plated single hook in the pkg, you have to take that nasty treble hook off, the chrome single hook removes very easily as long as the barb is pinched.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 PM

rscheckler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rscheckler

Now this is my area of expertise.

Now if you are at streams and lakes there are a few lures that I find essential to catching fish.

First would be your 2" white Mister Twister Grub as seen here.

Second would be the Acme Kastmaster as seen here.
The most success I have had with the kastmasters are with the all silver and all gold models.

Third would be Panther Martin spinners, especially models 002 and 001 from the link here.

I also recommend that you use these lures without a swivel. I find that I catch a lot more fish without the use of the swivel and with it. It might take a few extra seconds to put on a lure, but to me it is well worth it.
Lastly, the lower pound test you use the better. For trout in streams I stick with 4 pound test and for the rivers I use 8.
I hope this is what you were looking for and I hope this helps.