The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 12:01 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default "Studding" tread

I know from reading posts that many of you are "do-it-yourselfers", so here is my thoughts. I got rid of my felt soled wading shoes 2 years ago in the interest of not spreading invasive biological threats (real or imagined). I purchased a pair of shoes that have vibram lug soles, and they are great for walking the steam banks, but now that stelhead season is upon us, and remembering the icey streams of last winter, I am thinking of studding my tread.

Do you think that screwing some 1/2 inch long, self tapping, hex head screws into each lug would be a solution? I could secure them with a dab of waterproof epoxy too.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:10 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Studding" tread

The best option are tire studs made for ice racing.

https://koldkutter.com/catalog/products.php

Tip: Stop Grossly Overpaying for Wading Boot Studs | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.
45fisher likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard did a nice review of studs a while back, the thread is worth a read.

A Very Timely Test & Review of Grip Studs

I don't know that I'd use epoxy with them, that might make removing them for replacement more of a challenge than you'd like.

I've also read the article Silver posted and lots seem to hold those in high regard given their price.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! I know I'd get so good advice. I would have never thought of tire studs...and i have a pal who will give me a bunch.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:43 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure they are the correct length.
mrfzx likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-19-2012, 02:56 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

All the guys I know that did it used 1/2" self tappers and were good to go. 3 up front and 3 out back is all you really need.
mrfzx likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Done this for years, and just posted up (another thread) on how to do Aluminum bars. If you don't want to go there: #8x1/2'' hex washers or similar size in the Kold Kutters. The KK's are far more 'aggressive' in design.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:05 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

People in Alaska, where I use to live, bought short self-tapping scews with hex heads by the 100 count box. I use to screw them in with a drill/driver in my winter sneakers, boots and bicycle tires. Worked pretty good on ice. If the heads wore down a bit, I'd take them out and put a new set in.
mrfzx and fredaevans like this.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by akruss View Post
People in Alaska, where I use to live, bought short self-tapping scews with hex heads by the 100 count box. I use to screw them in with a drill/driver in my winter sneakers, boots and bicycle tires. Worked pretty good on ice. If the heads wore down a bit, I'd take them out and put a new set in.
That's what came with my wading boots. So far I have felt the need outweighed being able to wear them on floors.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

Diver Dan - that's the problem with all things studded. You have to take them off before walking around inside drift boats, decks and, of course, home. They're great for ice and terrible on wood or tiled floors.