The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 04:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not a Chance !

Right now there's 3 threads going here on FFFNA about locations fairly nearby to me that I have no intention of ever fishing. (I own property 15 miles away from one and I've never fished there.)
The problem for me is the crowds... I don't like 'em.
I rather fish a lesser quality stream or area than have to deal with the madness.
The internet and forums like this tend to concentrate people to the same places and to tell the truth that's okay with me, but just don't expect to see me there too.
I'm wondering what it takes to turn you off to a so called "blue ribbon" area, if in fact it does.
bigjim5589 and busbus like this.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:53 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Not a Chance !

Rip, I'm not big on crowds either, and have passed up fishing "famous" waters because of it. I'll take a backwater creek in a marsh any day to fighting the crowds, even if I don't catch anything but Bluegills!
Rip Tide likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say it's complicated. Of course, my ideal would be fishing in a beautiful place, without many people, with wonderful fish to catch, and all within striking distance of my house. There are actually spots like that I can find, though the crowds vary depending on time of year and day of the week. Generally, I try to get as close to that ideal as I can. What would totally keep me away is if I can find a spot without feeling like I'm invading someone's fishing spot. 'Combat fishing' just isn't worth it to me.

I also enjoy exploring. So when I have time my brother and I will try spots we've seen on a map. We don't always catch the most fish but avoid the crowds and have fun.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:09 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

I couldn't agree more. Fishing, especially fly fishing, is not a social sport.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:11 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I feel the same way. I have spent some time fishing tribs of crowded waters, to mixed success. When it's good it's real good, when it's not...
Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I fish a stretch of salmon water that includes about a dozen pools over an eight mile stretch; I pass by the ones that have vehicles parked and fish the deserted pools, if someone shows up at a pool I'm fishing I'll chat for a while and move on. Sometimes when the weather is really bad I get to fish the top producing pools all alone.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I skipped most of last years steelhead season because of crowds, I won't go near the creek my TU chapter stocked last weekend till its too cold for the chill babies, I'm fairly social in the parking lot but once the suspenders on my waders snap closed thats it...leave me alone.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Even though I am a true beginner, that is exactly why I fell in love with fly fishing whenever I went out those couple times and there was NOBODY around. It was so quiet and, when I was done, I was never so relaxed in a long, long time.

That is one of the reasons I am hesitating going to Erie to go for steel head as I hear it is crazy there.

I would rather go a whole day without even a bite than get loads of fish but have to be elbow-to-elbow.

ray
Old 10-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Up here I'm about the only person ever fishing from shore. As crowded as it gets here is Bill and I both fishing. I did have two boats watch me once and then move right into where I was casting and drop anchor. That annoyed me.

It gets so crowded however, in the Spring though you would have to see it to believe it. Boat accesses are full sometimes before it's light. Then they line up down the roads for a mile on both sides. And that is jack knifed into the ditches to keep them closer and fit more in.Then there is often shore ice at the ramps where they drop the boats onto the ice and push them out to open water. It's something you have to see to believe. People come from all over to fish here in the Spring. They film at least one TV show every season.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dan Bill looks like Al Lindner ! No wonder their following you!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser