The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By fredaevans
  • 9 Post By floorabove
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By klunker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 03:28 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Woozer! Four Coug's in one picture!

Caught on camera: Game cam captures remarkable images of wildlife in Sapphire Mountains
Hardyreels, fysh, mcnerney and 1 others like this.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:38 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Woozer! Four Coug's in one picture!

Here on the east cost of Canada, we would be happy with one in a picture let alone 4.

We re trying to confirm the existence of the eastern cougar. There seems to be some evidence, tracks and testimonials, but I don't think anything concrete. My grandfather witnessed a giant black cat jump up on an old oil barrel that was at the back of his property that bordered on a heavily wooded area in Southern New Brunswick, years ago. What stood out, he said, in his mind was the large long curled tail.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Here on the east cost of Canada, we would be happy with one in a picture let alone 4.

We re trying to confirm the existence of the eastern cougar. There seems to be some evidence, tracks and testimonials, but I don't think anything concrete. My grandfather witnessed a giant black cat jump up on an old oil barrel that was at the back of his property that bordered on a heavily wooded area in Southern New Brunswick, years ago. What stood out, he said, in his mind was the large long curled tail.

We have confirmed the east coast cougar in NY State...in fact here are 6 of them:

Click the image to open in full size.
FISHN50, fysh, mcnerney and 6 others like this.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

How did I know that a "coug" joke would appear?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
We re trying to confirm the existence of the eastern cougar. There seems to be some evidence, tracks and testimonials, but I don't think anything concrete.
This one was killed on a highway here in Connecticut just last year. That's pretty concrete!
It wasn't somebody's pet that had escaped either. It was "tracked" by sightings, hair and scat all the way from South Dakota and confirmed by DNA

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:09 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I believe the "eastern Cougar" is a sub-species, if it came from South Dak. its not an Eastern Cougar.
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

September 19 1981, 9:40 PM on Rock Run Road located in Cogan Station PA. about 3/4 mile from my home a Mountain Lion walked out from Charlie Ghere's tractor trail and paused for about 5- 8 seconds about 25' in front of my stopped vehicle. I had the high beams on it and guesstimated the weight at 95 - 110 pounds. I based the weight guess on the fact that I had a 65 pound setter and was accustomed to what 65 pounds looked like.

I wrote it down on a life list and remember the occurrence very well. I had several (2) other unknown large mammal sightings but could not swear they were cats although they sure fit the profile. The one I site I saw perfectly.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
September 19 1981, 9:40 PM on Rock Run Road located in Cogan Station PA. about 3/4 mile from my home a Mountain Lion walked out from Charlie Ghere's tractor trail and paused for about 5- 8 seconds about 25' in front of my stopped vehicle. I had the high beams on it and guesstimated the weight at 95 - 110 pounds. I based the weight guess on the fact that I had a 65 pound setter and was accustomed to what 65 pounds looked like.

I wrote it down on a life list and remember the occurrence very well. I had several (2) other unknown large mammal sightings but could not swear they were cats although they sure fit the profile. The one I site I saw perfectly.
C'mon now Ard, the PFGC avows that they don't exist! Even though numerous photographs and eye witnesses have sworn to have seen them.....I guess we're all a bunch of fibbers!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Last edited by mrfzx; 10-22-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

My mother in law lives in West Virginia. There is an old barn on her place that's kinda fell into ruin. Groundhogs have burrowed under it and come out close to the barn. Maw saw a cougar TWICE prowling around the barn,,,I suppose 'scenting' the groundhogs and maybe looking for supper. The second time she saw it she called the DNR office and ask them to send a state trapper,,or anyone,,,, out to live trap it maybe and move it. They said they could not use manpower to try to trap an animal that couldn't in any way be in her area. She said 'Fine, when I see it again, I'll shoot it then you can come and get it.'

Tune changed...it was 'No M'am, do NOT shoot it. Just do NOT.'

Well,,,at least she cranked an admission of a sorts out of them lol

They never did send anyone, and as far as I know,,,after the second sighting,,she hasn't seen it again.