The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Daughters

I cannot for the life of me get my daughter to go fly fishing with me but she did however pop up and decide to go with me deer hunting on opening weekend in GA.this past weekend.Well as we are about to leave she decides she wants to shoot a deer and again:eek.She has never shot a gun but been around them here whole life so i get out the .22 and let her shoot,so ok we good she does ok.5:30am alarm goes off and why do we get up so early she says i don't want to go in the dark,6AM still in front of mirror in camper got to fix hair daddeer don't care about your hair.We get blind set up 6:40am all is good,daylight comes and why have we not seen any ,why did we come so early if they are not here.Be patient give them time to move and be quite.Well next came i'm bored,i'm cold,my butt is numb,can we move and then she went to sleep.Sitting in the blind.
Click the image to open in full size.
View from blind.
We did see some deer the next morning but we had no opportunity for a shot.I let her drive the 4-wheeler and the truck on the hunting club and we had a great time just me and my 13yr old baby girl.It's a start she wants to go back now to get her fishing.
FISHN50, mrfzx and theboz like this.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Daughters

I completely understand she is your daughter and all. However...she is a woman. Need more be said?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Shannon: Great job, keep working at it and she will learn to love the outdoors and fly fishing!

Larry
williamhj likes this.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is not yet 2 so I have a lot of those kinds of years in my future. However, if I go into the mountains and she is in the car, I might bring a fly rod but I don't expect to really do much fishing. My goal is to have a good experience with her. My hope is that if, over the years, she has good experiences outdoors with me, she might develop interest in fishing with me. Then again, she might not. One thing I know, she is not me and that is probably a good thing, even if it means I won't fish quite as much as I'd like
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM

crruns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
My daughter is not yet 2 so I have a lot of those kinds of years in my future. However, if I go into the mountains and she is in the car, I might bring a fly rod but I don't expect to really do much fishing. My goal is to have a good experience with her. My hope is that if, over the years, she has good experiences outdoors with me, she might develop interest in fishing with me. Then again, she might not. One thing I know, she is not me and that is probably a good thing, even if it means I won't fish quite as much as I'd like
I share your sentiments- my daughter's 1-1/2 yrs old, and I've taken her out running nearly every Saturday, and I've been taking her out for short hikes in the back pack carrier- we'll be out snow shoeing this winter, and once she's big enough, we'll see about fishing. As much as we can, we get her out doors, and she's usually pulling us by the hand to go outside!

Stimulator2, at least she's interested in going out with you - that's a success in itself!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I always took my son Hunting & fishing with me since he was little. My daughter liked to camp but she never was a morning person. She went through the vegetarian stage so hunting & fishing was out of her picture. I was pleasantly surprised when she asked to learn how to fly fish & she really took to it. My son tried to make it a competition so she naturally always caught more fish because she concentrated on what she was doing & learned how to read streams, where the fish are & tied her own flies etc. ( My son started to tie but ended up just mooching mine & hers).
Now my daughter & me have been fishing together all over the country & since she just got married her husband is now learning to flyfish.( I think it was in the pre nups.) Any way she still can outcast & outfish me. She is the only person who I've seen double haul without any instruction or practice. She picked up on the first day I showed her how.
Stick with teaching you baby girl about all your hobbies & you'll have a fishing partner for life.
Noiso and crruns like this.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very lucky in that all three of my girls as well as my son fish. Some more than others. Like William used to carry them in pack when they were small to the rivers and beaches. The older ones would tag along.
Just to show how into it they can get my middle daughter saw a pic on Facebook of my son and I slamming saltwater fish on LI. She is one of these busy professionals now always working no time for play. Well she calls me says Dad rented a house on Long Beach Island can you come and stay and bring the fly rods? Easy decision! Fished with her and her fiancÚ for 3 days dawn till dusk bluefish , shad , fluke and various others.
Before I head for home asks for the chip from my camera I'll mail it to you Dad. Ok.
Why? So she can show her brother on Facebook that she can catch more fish and bigger fish on the fly than him! This is what happens when you raise competitive girls to be fly anglers. And I thought it was bad when they were playing college bball! Fishing with those two is worse.and they want me to judge who casts better! I tell them their both great and hide!

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Oh and williamhj I can't begin to tell you how many great memories the pic of you and your little girl brought back to me! The best ! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

And Shannon when I took my same daughter deer hunting( she insisted) when the buck passed on her side of the stand she yelled out" Dad there's a deer" !
She was 12!
crruns likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

My daughter did hunters ed and had great fun lording it over her older brother that her grade was (one extra credit point) higher than his. I got her all dressed and outfitted (newer 20 Ga) for her first season dove hunt. Her brother winged the first bird of the day and dispatched it by holding the head and twirling it til the body separated. She was done right then.
She also had a short vegetarian phase, but now wants to fish. Still loves to get out and camp. Just doesn't hunt.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 10-23-2012, 08:42 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

My daughter has said she'd like to hunt many times, but when it comes time to get her hunter's safety course from the PGC, she always backs out. Now fishing, that she does.

At 11 y.o. here she was still using her pink spincasting rod/reel. I am slowely weaning her off it, and onto fly gear.

Now, if I can just keep the boys away!!!!!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Last edited by mrfzx; 10-23-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: phot won't view.....
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Patience...it ALL happens on their clock...

PT/TB
mrfzx likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/