The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly Fishers Elbow

Anyone got tendonitis? It only hurts when i cast!!! I got a compression wrap from doctor and it helps some. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and what you are doing to deal with it. Striper fishing is just starting so i can see several thousand cast with a #10 rod in my future. Getting old is not for sissies
Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Fly Fishers Elbow

Time to see Dr. Andrews

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

As my Russian Friend, Igor, said to me, right before we got into the ring to spar, "Unfortunately for us my friend, it comes with age".
On that note I got tendonitis from launching Woolly Buggers with a 6wt. Since it's a tendon, it will take time to heal. It's been three months for me and I'm finally able to swing my 5wt with little pain. Stick with the typical treatment; ice, heat, anti inflammatories and refrain from activities that could do more harm. For me that meant no fly fishing until I got better. I know it's tempting to keep fishing but you may have to sit this one out. Your choice. Semper Fi.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I developed "tennis elbow" two years ago from 30-some years of casting and fishing. At its worst, I could not straighten my arm out, and every cast was painful. First cortisone shot was like a miracle, for about 8 months. The second one was a relief, for about 3 months. The third one did nothing. The compression wraps only helped a little throughout the process.

Had surgery, recovered back to normal fishing duties within a month, and made what's considered a full recovery within about 4 months. Today, I cast pain-free, can double-haul an 8-wt all day, and I believe the minor surgery to clean out the elbow was the best decision I ever made. Should have done it right from the start! Surgery was pretty painless. Recovery was pretty painless, just a few weeks of inconvenience.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

When mine hurts I put my thumb on top of the grip. That probably means my thumb should always be there, but unless I'm kinda in the wind or having elbow pain I seem to forget...
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Back about ten years ago, I spent a day fishing my 8 wt, casting weighted streamers after a long time away from fishing. Later that night, lifting a gallon of milk caused pain that felt like a nail being driven through my elbow. At forty or so, ice, heat and nsaids worked okay and it healed fine. Docs' only advice was to learn to cast left handed. (Yeah, Right)
Ten plus years later, I managed to inflict the same damage to my left elbow carrying in a bag of groceries. I went through hot/cold, cortisone, physical therapy. It never did heal and now is very arthritic. Can't straighten the arm all the way out and have lots of waekness. Can't do pushups, can't ride bikes. I get some ouches when spey casting.
Recently went back in for a check up and got a scrip for a once a day anti-inflamatory. Gave me the runs.
I figured out a while back that this ain't going away.
I hope yours heals up.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Have you considered a supplement of Glucosamine? Works great for tendon problems in dogs and humans.

Glucosamine & Tendonitis | LIVESTRONG.COM

Lots of good research showing it really does help.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Have you considered a supplement of Glucosamine? Works great for tendon problems in dogs and humans.

Glucosamine & Tendonitis | LIVESTRONG.COM

Lots of good research showing it really does help.
Noreaster: Thanks for the tip, I forgot all about having Glucosamine in the medicine cabinet, that might help my shoulder that has been nagging at me for the past month.....at least it is worth a try.

Larry
noreaster likes this.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Noreaster: Thanks for the tip, I forgot all about having Glucosamine in the medicine cabinet, that might help my shoulder that has been nagging at me for the past month.....at least it is worth a try.

Larry
We noticed our dog was limping a bit on his shoulder when getting up in the morning. We put him on it and after a few weeks he was better. Remember it has to build up in your system to the point where it reaches therapeutic dose, so be patient with it.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I fish my 10wt, I automatically put an elastic support brace on my wrist.
If it's the second day in a row I wear an elbow brace as well

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.