The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By newby
  • 1 Post By lightline
  • 5 Post By romanl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 07:42 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Which Reel to use for new rod? (pics included)

hey guys
it happened, today i received my 2nd rod . only 3 1/2 month into Fly Fishing and i had to have a 2nd one.
anyways, i have few NO NAME reels that i got of craigslist so i dont know what sizes they are. i actually had a thread about it in REELs section.
what reels are these?

well i got a 7'6" 3wt Redington CT rod and decided to go with the middle of the 3 reels,
i put on 100 yards of 20lb backing
and im using WF 3wt Floating line 100FT
and if you can see from the pictures below it looks like there's still some room left on the reel, and i thought that perfect match should fill up to the guides or be close to it?
i did make sure line is not super tight on or anything like that.
do you guys think i should switch for the slightly smaller diameter reel?
thank you
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Which Reel to use for new rod? (pics included)

How does the reel balance on your rod? The most important thing in rod/reel pairing is not the size (yes that matters but not as much as balance), but rather whether or not the reel balances the rod. In other words, attach the reel, hold the rod as you would in casting, and if it doesn't feel tip or butt heavy, you should be fine.

Having a reel that holds your line and backing and is filled up is not a good thing, IMO. I like a little bit of room in my reels so that there is no problem with stripping out line, and also so if a fish takes of on a run the line doesn't hang up on the reel. It takes a while before you have too much room on a fly reel, but you can quickly have to little.

So if the reel balances nicely and you are happy with the performance, you will be fine.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

you know i only did few casts outside so not to let line hit the ground since its concrete, but i might walk over to local park to try it out and see how it feels.
but from few casts i just did it felt fine.

the reality is there's very little difference between this reel and the smaller one in weight, but a few millimiters in diameter that i think would make for a better tighter fit?
then again i can just save smaller one for if i ever get a 1WT or 2WT

#1 reel (smallest one) weight: 3.9 oz or 112 grams
diameter: 2" 11/16th or about 6.8 cm

#2 reel (middle one) weight: 4.0 oz or 116 grams (so not much bigger then #1)
diameter: 2" 13/16th or about 7.2 cm
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I can't imagine ever needing 100 yards of backing on a 3 wt. I've never had 100 yards of backing ran off a reel in freshwater in my life. The smallest fly reels usually handle 3wt lines, especially WF that take less space than a DT.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightline View Post
I can't imagine ever needing 100 yards of backing on a 3 wt. I've never had 100 yards of backing ran off a reel in freshwater in my life. The smallest fly reels usually handle 3wt lines, especially WF that take less space than a DT.
well the reason i put all 100 yards of backing on is 1. thats what came on a spool, and 2. i wanted Fly line to be wrapped around biggest diameter possible so its in biggest possible loops for less bend memory in line. and seems like i still have some free space
as for using smallest reel, the issue is they dont have name or sizing on them, so while it might be smallest out of 3 in front of me i have no way of telling which is which

i just went and did more casting on some grass and it feels fine.
ill keep it as is for now and will see how fishing goes this weekend, and then will decide if i need to go smaller or not
thank you
Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If the reel feels fine on the rod, don't worry about it. If you want to take up a bit more room on the reel, just add more backing.

Next time you load up a reel and aren't sure how much backing you need, put the line on the reel first, then start adding backing on top of it until you get enough on. Remove the backing and line onto spool and then reverse them. It's an extra step but it saves you adding more backing later.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

The current reel looks fine to me. You want some clearance because you will not always get the line spooled level when you are on the water.

I think it is a good idea to have the 100 yards of backing. You never know when you might hook a 20# carp and if you are in open water he may well run off that much or possibly more. Another reason to fill the reel is that it takes fewer cranks to retrieve your line as the diameter increases. I would leave it as it is.

As mentioned above....I have never been spooled either but there is always a first time.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

smaller one! use the bigger for your 4 weight

casey

ARFE
Old 10-23-2012, 11:53 PM

thanks guys,
im going to go ahead and try it as is this weekend and maybe switch it up for next trip and see if i can even tell a difference.

as for 4wt, i have another reels *(i posted good pics/comparison dims in my other thread that i linked here) so i think that one would be 4 wt.

while i never expect to even see the backing or most of the line out on this rod,, you never know when one of these SoCal monsters takes off and runs of whole spool