The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 07:32 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Weight forward misnomer?

Hey, I've learned (at least if I understand correctly) that weight forward line doesn't really have any additional "weight" vs. a double taper, it's just that it gets super-skinny after the 30 feet or so of head so the weight that it does have tends to shoot more easily through the guides....right?

If you look at both types of line (WF - DT) side-by-side it seems dumb to me to call it that.

Why not call it "skinny-butt" line instead of weight forward?

Anyway, I tend to fish using casts under 50 feet and I like the "fishability" of having a fatter running line a lot better, so I'm think I'm going to buy up a lot of DT line before it goes extinct due to the popularity of WF line. I'm not sure I see any advantage to WF line that would lead me to continue using it. Casting your entire fly line and shooting into the distance might be fun, but what's the point for small-medium FW situations? (I can see the benefit in SW and/or large waters) I'd rather have good mending and roll casts -- both of which seem more important to get the fish than firing my line a country mile.

Anyway, I feel kind of dumb for buying WF line when it appears that DT is better suited for my needs, that's all . The marketing people got me!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Weight forward misnomer?

I'm still a little lost on how DT promotes better roll casting. A tapered head at the front 30' exists equally in both, right? So why would having a reverse tapered butt on the DT help roll cast more?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I'm still a little lost on how DT promotes better roll casting. A tapered head at the front 30' exists equally in both, right?
It's the additional mass after the initial 30' that makes the difference, but only if you are actually fishing with more than 30' of line.

DT lines were the standard back in the day, but in the modern graphite rod era, distance casting became a major marketing consideration on how fly rods were promoted. WF lines are distance lines and were an important part of that equation.
When distance is more important or you're just casting and stripping, use a WF, but the use of a DT line is actually much better for traditional fly fishing where you're doing a lot of mending to control your drift.

In close quarters, WF/DT, it doesn't matter a whole lot.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Yeah, for me it's almost like:

0-30 feet = it doesn't matter

0-50 feet = double taper

50+ feet = weight forward

Since I cast in the small window there, I think a DT is better for me. Drat!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Makes sense....

I was almost regretting buying WF for my custom 6'6" 2wt that is being built, but since I won't be out more than 30' with that thing, it looks like I am still optimal.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I agree with you Turbo....I have a DT on my 2wt and I like it much better than the WF that was originally on it. But it is also a heavier line. I really did not like the rod with the original line but when I overlined it with the DT it came alive for me.....All that being said I have WF on all of my heavier rods. WF lines will also cast heavier flies better than a DT in my experiance. All of my fishing is warmwater and Salt. I do no trout fishing. I do hope that DT line will not become obsolete.

As a side note...I have 5wt WT line that has a real long front taper and casts like a DT for short to medium distance but I seldom use it. I wished I had bought a more aggressive WT line.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Look at the line makers specs
Yesteryears lines were simple.

Todays lines are compounded lines
It's not black or white anymore
Guest1 and sweetandsalt like this.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:51 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Look at the line makers specs
Yesteryears lines were simple.

Todays lines are compounded lines
It's not black or white anymore
I think we have a good Canadidate for "Understatement of the Day." And single hander lines are pretty simple ..... take a look at what's out there in the way of lines for 2handers Mind boggling..
Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I seldom cast more than half a line (or need to). I doubt I could get more than 70% in the air. I like the enonomy of being able to use both ends of my DT lines.
And just for info for anyone who hasn't compared: Higher quality/priced lines DO make a difference.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 10-25-2012, 01:46 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

While it is true that a line in the same brand and model that is offered in DT and WF are all but identical for the first 30' and, add a 10' leader and we are talking 40', there are additional performance criteria. A WF line does not abruptly transition from thick belly to skinny running line, there is a rear taper. While it is true that older WF designs might transition over a short 5' distance, more sophisticated contemporary designs often feature as much as 25' of rear taper and a compound head length in excess of 30 feet (including the front taper). Not only does this facilitate mending, reaching and roll casting but it does not dramatically add to the weight of line loading the rod as would a DT at more than the above 40'. That WF or WFL (Long) as I prefer also leaves more room for backing on a given reel, does not overload the delicate tip of a rod and makes for superior line manipulation, the only thing it gives up is the ability to turn it around if you damage the front portion. Examples of the modern superior WF lines would be the SA Expert Distance and Trout Stalker, RIO Gold, Orvis Super Mend(?), Cortland Trout Boss and Airflo Rangefinder...and I am sure others I am overlooking.