The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Barbless Flies

When a stream or lake has a 'barbless' fly rule, does mashing the barb with a pliers count? I mean, is it legal?

Where do you, if you don't tie your own, get barbless flies?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Barbless Flies

As far as I know, mashing the barb flat is barbless.

Can't help with other question (I tie on Daiichi barbless hooks), but Google probably can.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Mashed is legal, but if they check (and they do) it better be mashed down enough.
If it makes you feel better, you can file the barb down almost as easily
Old 10-25-2012, 04:51 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

Very few commercially produced flies are tied on barbless hooks because the vast majority of hooks are produced with barbs on them. I have fished on waters in four states where the rule was single, barbless, hooks. I fish barbless all the time so it is just second nature to me to flatten the barbs at the vise when I tie the flies. If you don't tie flatten the barb when you purchase them or on the water; you should be good to go.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I had a warden check once.. he ran his thumb nail across the barb area, if it snagged, you were ticketed.

We have shops that sell barbless...
Old 10-25-2012, 06:03 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Now that's a good question.
Does barbless require all the hooks (including those in your box) to be barbless or just the one(s) in play?
A good question to ask your State Fish & Game people.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 PM

horseman_37601 will become famous soon enough

good question, in tennessee, all flys in your possession most be barbless. dont know about other states.

"the ox is slow, but the earth is patience"
Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Do you feel that there's an advantage to fishing barbless flies? I don't typically buy barbless hooks when I tie, and often forget to mash them down, but on my local streams it doesn't matter. Is a barbless hook better for the fish? Or does it help in keeping them hooked in anyway (would kind of seem counter-intuitive, but it wouldn't be the first time!)
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman_37601 View Post
good question, in tennessee, all flys in your possession most be barbless. dont know about other states.
Wow!! I don't think that is the case here in CA. Jeez - that seems a little stringent. I will double check anyway.

I filed the barbs off of a bunch of flies once. I found that mashing the barb was quicker/easier. I use my reading glasses to make sure the barb is flattened, especially helpful on smaller flies. You can test the barb on your drying patch or clothing to see how smooth you got it as well.

Here is the definition from chapter #1 of the CA regs.
1.19 Barbless hook A fish hook from which the barb or barbs have been removed completely or bent closed, or which is manufactured without barbs.

The CA regs, where it applies, says,"only barbless hooks may be USED." I have not found anything that bars possession of barbed hooks. I suppose you could wear a gaff as a tie pin if you were so inclined, but I imagine that would invite unwanted attention in the barbless/artificial, 0 bag limit areas.

Personally I think it is strange that a company hasn't started making barbless hooked flies available. I've heard it is not economically feasible. It seems to me whoever figures out a way and steps up could corner the market. I also thought that starting a not for profit barbless fly cooperative/company could be cool. Just a thought - don't look at me for execution!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
``````````````````````````"I swear officer, it is just a tie pin!"
`
`
`
`
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach

Last edited by Noiso; 10-25-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
Do you feel that there's an advantage to fishing barbless flies? I don't typically buy barbless hooks when I tie, and often forget to mash them down, but on my local streams it doesn't matter. Is a barbless hook better for the fish? Or does it help in keeping them hooked in anyway (would kind of seem counter-intuitive, but it wouldn't be the first time!)

Well, it's a whole lot easier to get a barbless hook out of a fish without damaging the fish.

Also, there are places around me that require barbless hooks, and catch-and-release.

You do lose a few more fish without barbs on the hook, but it's not as bad as it might seem. You just need to keep a tight line.
MoscaPescador likes this.

Last edited by plecain; 10-26-2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: spelling