The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 PM

rockyfly12 is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis fly rod missing serial number

I just bought a nearly new, 1 year old, Orvis access fly rod from a buddy, but I cant find the serial number. Do they not have serial numbers anymore? I looked at the butt end cap and on the blank near the cork handle but still couldnt find anything. Shouldnt there be one?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Orvis fly rod missing serial number

Hi Rocky,

You should try Orvis 'Live Chat' on their web site and ask them. I don't have any of the new rods so I can't answer for you. Perhaps the # was on the warranty card? Did your bud send it in?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 AM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

Not all of Orvis' rods have serial numbers. I can tell you for a fact that neither of my Hydros rods have them. You can talk to an Orvis rep on the live chat, and they'll tell you about the access. But i'd bet that it just doesn't have one.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Ted and Ard have said. My Helios doesn't have a serial number on it, but my old T3 looks like it does.

Larry
Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM

rockyfly12 is on a distinguished road

I'll check out the warranty card situation. If the rod breaks do I need to send that in with the rod?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

I have 5 Orvis rods in front of me, none has a serial number. Two Superfines have manufacturing dates- birthdays- my new Superfine Touch has nothing, my old Silver Label has nothing, and my really old bamboo Madison has nothing. I think it's a non-issue, they know when they made them.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with nickj. Anything after 2003 requires the $30. fix and obviously the Access and Hyrdos and Helios are after 2003.
I have to look at my Boos, but I think they have a date on them...Hmmmmmm.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyfly12 View Post
I'll check out the warranty card situation. If the rod breaks do I need to send that in with the rod?
I sent my ZG HELIOS in a month ago....do not need to send in warranty card. I did register the rod when I got it and have the plastic card that came with it, but I did not send it in to get repaired.

I did send the ENTIRE rod in with the rod tube.

Oh and none of my Orvis rods (3 helios and 1 superfine) have serial numbers.

The repair was FREE, but I had to send them $30 for what I believe was for shipping.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Revised search results...my Madison's aluminum tube has a serial number, not to be found anywhere on the rod though.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:23 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

No number on any current Orvis rod...Graphite anyways.