The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default Anyone around here like the hardwater?

In our neck of the woods, from Christmas to mid February or so we tend to do a good bit of ice fishing. On a normal year all the lakes lock up pretty tight "except for last year" and the rivers at best are flowing slush. Trout season isn't open in Wisconsin during the winter and there is certainly a relaxing appeal to hunkering down in the heated shanty and staying on fish year round. It's also a nice chance to rest the car and stay local on some of the great lakes around northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

I know its a fly fishing site here, just wondering how many others around here do some hardwater angling to pass time during the cold months?

Click the image to open in full size.
"me on Greenbay chasing whitefish"

"my son has been ice fishing since he was 3"

"he looks forward to every winter"

Roughly 2 months of open water left for me...

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone around here like the hardwater?

I kinda grew away from icefishing until I realized I could use my own flies on my jigging rod. I rig up a few midge droppers above a small Clouser at the point and jig away.
I don't do it very often, but this way I can go "minimalist" rather than pull around a sled full of gear and I like that.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:42 AM

taghkanic trader is on a distinguished road

I try an fish it as often as I can.
Problem is we don't get enough safe ice here until after the first of the year unless I go way farther north.
With the price of gas I can't do that often enough.
Still enjoy it when I can.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 AM

georg_riddle is on a distinguished road

Here in Wasilla, Alaska the lakes are getting tight. Word at the fly/tackle shop was that one lake has 4" already. It has been in the teens at night for better than a week with no wind so they are like glass with no snow. Soon it will be hole cutting time.

George
Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

My neighbor used to ask me to go with him all the time but that's the time of the year I sit behind the vise or keep rod making. Although if I had a lake around here with whities like that I'd cut some holes to fill up the smoker!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Since I spend a large part of the winter at the cabin.......and its on the shore of a lake every now and then I get the urge to bore some holes. I've only done this once and I tended to put bait down and then check the tip ups from the cabin using binoculars

Hi George,

I noticed how smooth the ice was in town yesterday evening. I had to go in for a couple things and drove past. Maybe after we meet and get to know one another we can go fish through the ice somewhere. I have never eaten Burbot but am told that it is as good as cod and we really like Ling Cod. I've some things to square away here but may give you a ring later this afternoon.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Used to ice fish alot. Nothing better than yellow perch and walleye ice caught and pan fried! Last year for the first time not one day of safe ice for the first time that people could remember! Kept the flyrod going all winter!
il_wi_fishing likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Last year for the first time not one day of safe ice for the first time that people could remember! Kept the flyrod going all winter!
Ditto, it was my best fall on the tribs for browns and steelhead

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 10-26-2012, 01:36 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing View Post
Ditto, it was my best fall on the tribs for browns and steelhead
Same here ! More time on the river! Global warming has it's benefits!
il_wi_fishing likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I used to ice fish as much as I could once the water got hard enough. Spear fishing for pike and jigging for lake perch helped the winter pass and filled the freezer for a pre-Lent feast! I did a lot of ice boating too until a hole chewed up my DN and a sane wife wouldn't allow me to build another.
The funny, or sad thing is, I gave my brother my portable shanty and other ice fishing gear when I moved to NC in 2002. The lack of normal seasonal weather since that time finds that stuff hardly used. My ice boating pals also say they have to travel far and wide to find enough good, clean ice to hold a race these days.