The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 01:50 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Fly fishing with back pain

How many of you suffer mid-to-low back pain while fly casting? It seems that after an hour of standing and casting, no matter if it's spey or false casting, my back is in terrible pain.

Is there anything that you guys do about this? Back braces?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:52 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly fishing with back pain

You can buy wading belts with built in back support. A buddy of mine suggested I borrow his for a day and it really did help.
mcnerney, Liphookedau and delopez like this.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:02 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Appreciated. However (and this may be that I'm worrying about it too much), what happens after I get used to it and forget it one day? Do you notice anymore noticable pains when you take it off and fly fish? I'm really just curious..
Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I ruptured a disc in my lower back in 86' and have a lot of arthritis in my joints too. I deal with pain on a regular basis & if I stand for long periods it gets worse. I do a lot of heavy lifting with my job, up to 50 lbs sometimes, which doesn't help my situation. Something the surgeon told me I wouldn't be able to do, he said 30 lbs, but I've been doing it for more than 20 years!

Best way I've found to deal with it is daily exercise. Doesn't have to be strenuous, just daily & exercises that stretch the muscles & move the joints.

I have also worn a back brace, like weight lifters might use to support my back & that has worked fine. If I forget it, then I have to remember to limit standing, which I don't always do. In that case, I give thanks for Ibuprofen & Tylenol!
mcnerney, Guest1 and Liphookedau like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:23 PM

haha. I used to do a lot of heavy lifting. I took a career in IT and now I sit at a desk all day, which I'm sure doesn't help. That said, maybe it's time to hit the gym? Maybe I should focus on the core?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jim has hit a Homer here!

I sent a message with a Rep on your thread that says it all and I'll repeat it here. I hurt all over, the back is just part of it. I go to a gym six miles from home and do everything I can to keep up some level of strength, it helps a lot.

PS. To read Rep notes just go to your User Control screen and scroll down, you'll find out if anyone is building your rep and what they are saying to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-27-2012, 02:44 PM

Some nights, I like to settle in with 4 500mg tablets of ibuprofen and a 6 pack of beer. That, at least, helps me to forget out the pain.

But, I think I agree. I just might have to hit the gym and wear a back brace during casting.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:45 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Appreciated. However (and this may be that I'm worrying about it too much), what happens after I get used to it and forget it one day? Do you notice anymore noticable pains when you take it off and fly fish? I'm really just curious..
Well, it's not like a painkiller addiction where the pain is worse than the original pain if you don't have the belt. It simply provides some support, and that seems to make my time without real pain last longer than without a belt.
delopez likes this.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
haha. I used to do a lot of heavy lifting. I took a career in IT and now I sit at a desk all day, which I'm sure doesn't help. That said, maybe it's time to hit the gym? Maybe I should focus on the core?
There lies the problem, I know it all to well. Worked in IT for 20 years sitting at a desk working at a computer, got way out of shape. This past year I have made a decision to get to the gym at least five days a week, during the winter when I can't get out fishing I try to hit the gym six days a week and like you said focus on the core.

Larry
Guest1 and osok like this.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

As many of you know, I have a back that is as screwed up as a soup sandwich. I have been having to go the painkiller route for now. Hopefully I can get in and get the surgery I was supposed to get last Spring, sometime this Winter.

That being said, the back brace thing works pretty well. So does set down and take a break every once in a while. You may want to go find out why you are having pain in the first place. Maybe it's as simple as getting a Chiropractor to pop you into alignment. I have also noticed that using a spey rod has not only been easier on my back but my elbow as well. It seems kind of counter intuitive that a heavy 15 foot rod would be easier on you than a light 9 foot rod, but it is.
Hardyreels likes this.