The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By qec
  • 1 Post By FlyFlinger2421

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 06:13 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Add a fighting butt to a buttless rod?

Hey, is this a possibility, and if so can it be easily done?

I like my 6 weight quite a lot and I was fighting a fish yesterday morning for about 10 minutes straight with multiple runs and really wanted something to jam into my hip for support . I thought there might be an easy solution to this, but maybe not. The current rod I have is a bass pro white river, hobbs creek one -- 6 weight, 8 foot long.

I tried a forum search but only hit ads for people selling rods with fighting butts .
Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Add a fighting butt to a buttless rod?

Have a look here:Reel Seat Fighting Butts or there:http://www.batsonenterprises.com/fly-fighting-butts
hope it works with your rod
Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Two questions before you try: is the rod warrantied? and if so do you care about the warranty? If the answers are yes then don't do it!

Here's info on removing a reel seat. If you're careful you might be able to just get the butt cap off without messing up the seat. If you do end up getting the seat off on accident and don't mess up the grip you can just epoxy it back on.

Once the cap is off you can see if there's any space between the end of the blank and the end of the seat, measure the size of the opening, etc. From there see what fighting butt you'd need to buy to fit. Once you get the fighting butt and see if fits, or realize you can't do it, get some 5 minute epoxy, mix it up, and glue it together.
Hardyreels and Liphookedau like this.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

A few years back, Springbrook products used to sell rubber caps and fighting butts that could be placed on the butt end of a reel seat. I have not seen them for a few years now.

Springbrook is TFO's accessory company. I could not find a listing for Springbrook.

Dennis
Old 10-28-2012, 12:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

This is a fairly easy fix. I did one myself after reading an article about it in an old American Angler magazine.
First you'd remove the butt cap from the end of the reel seat . Most likely you'll see the end of the rod blank extending right to the bottom. If this is the case, find yourself a scrap piece of rod blank that will fit securely in the end of exposed rod blank. Make sure it goes in at least an inch.
The next step is to either buy a premade fighting butt or build one right on your scrap rod piece from cork rings or whatever. The one that I did was just an oversized bottle cork that I found some where and carved to size.
After you've built your fighting butt, you just glue it in with epoxy.

If you find that the rod blank does not extend all the way down to the end of the reel seat, you can build a removable fighting butt.
Instead of building the butt on scrap graphite, use a wooden dowel of the proper size. Carve two notches around the dowel and fit on a pair of O-rings.
This way the fighting butt will fit securely but will still be easily removable.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Although I have not done what Paul cleverly describes I have a rod that came this way from the factory. As I always say, 'If he doesn't know, you don't need to know' and the methods are always mindful of the bottom line $$

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Also to add to what others have mentioned depending on how thick is the back of The Butt Cap you could just Drill & Tap or Drill & Ream it to Take An Adaptor.
Brian

Last edited by Liphookedau; 10-28-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 AM

qec is on a distinguished road

Assuming you can get the reel seat end cap off (boiling water) the rest is pretty easy. Measure the id of the blank end and add an extension using an old rod piece. Mudhole and lots of other places have fighting butts for a couple of dollars. Cut the expoxied in extension to the proper length and epoxy on the fighting butt. If you don't have an old rod piece of correct size email me and I can probably find you something and send it to you.

Things to consider:
- Warrantee
- How handy are you

Quinn
Liphookedau likes this.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Here is a tip worth filing away:
Archery shops cut lots of ends off of carbon arrow shafts. They just throw them away, so stop in and ask for some pieces. The shafts come in lots of different diameters so you can probably find one to use as a sleeve to fit over the rod butt. Glue the other end into a hole in the cork fighting butt and problem solved!
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Turbine,

I made one for a 12 wt, but only because I snapped mine off during tarpon season and didn't have a backup 12. But I also have a good lathe, and was able to fabricate one of delrin that slid inside the rod blank butt and up inside the reel seat itself. If you are not desperate, as I was, I wouldn't bother with it myself. You can probably find a good used or new rod that comes with one, and save that one for a backup.

Since that happened, I have bought two more 12 wts, so am now flush. A demo xi3 showed up the other day for $395, so I snapped it up. Now I don't have to use my daughter's.