The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Castwell's knot - Old flyline to leader knot

For loop to loop, I use a hangman's noose in the fly line to create the second loop, and cinch it down on the leader loop. This is good if you never want the knot to back into the guides, Kind of creates a stopper. Good for lighter setups and dry-dropper, short leader stuff.

For bigger fish, where the knot might have to come through the guides, I use an 8-wrap albright. The knot must be cinched on both ends (tag also). This passes the guides easily enough and has not failed on my largest fish.
I don't like tying the nail knot, and I believe it is easier for it to strip the fly line coating. I also think the bend in the line for the Albright makes it more secure and durable.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I love the uni-knot personally. I use it more than any other knot actually. The only other ones I use are the triple surgeons knot and the orvis knot occasionally.

I also moved from the improved clinch to the uni, mostly because I noticed that I would occasionally lose fish from tying the improved clinch to large hooks (causing breakage). That said, my wife ONLY ties the improved clinch and never has problems with it. A lot of other people swear by it too...so to each their own. I no longer use it.

Not that it is scientific, but I've done several of my own "pull tests" and my uni knot always beats the clinch....and I've never had it fail me on a fish. Even looking at it, it seems to me like the formation of the uni would be more secure than the clinch simply because of how the tag end is secured...but I don't know.

The uni-knot was always easy for me -- just youtube it. I mostly use 8 pound test for tippet, so I usually get away with 4-5 turns...depending on what I feel like . Just make sure to tighten the tag end first to form the knot on the standing line, then don't just pull the main line to slide the knot downward -- that's the bad way to do it. Instead, grasp the knot and slide it manually with your fingers or fingernail. You can slide it down about 98% of the way to the hook eye and use it as a loop knot...which is mostly what I do. You avoid burn this way, plus I add some saliva first just to make sure.

You can join lines by using 2 uni knots, you can snell a hook, attach line to the reel, etc. - it's a very versatile knot and beats the tar out of the improved clinch in my experience . I also use it with fluorocarbon 8 pound Vanish and it hasn't failed me. I don't use braid, but I've read that the uni is considered a good choice for it as well. Maybe I just tie it better...who knows? All I know is that I trust it after using it so often now.

Try it out!

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

Oh! And if you do not need a loop knot, you can simply pass the line through the hook eye 2 times and tie the uni-knot to make the "Fish-N-Fool" knot...which is one of the strongest knots you can tie - period.

Most informative Turbinblade. Very good.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

...back to the Castwell knot.
I was just going through some old books and found a 36 page pamphlet from SA called To Cast a Fly, c1966.
To my surprise it opened right to a page where this knot was shown, calling it simply the "line to leader knot"
Quote:
The next step is to attach the butt of the leader to the end of the line. There are a number of ways of doing this, but for the time being we'll stick to the simplest satisfactory knot, which is tied as follows: