The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Castwell's knot - Old flyline to leader knot

Anyone else ever seen this knot? Fly Angler's OnLine "Fly Fishing the Salt - 18 - Wading"

I found it one day a couple of months ago immediately after I nail knotted a piece of 30# mono to my fly line to use for loop-loop connection. When checking the strength of the knot, the darned thing came off and effectively stripped my fly line to the core! Anyway I know that a LOT of people use nail knots without problems....they're just not my cup of tea. Plus, I don't enjoy tying them -- even with the quick tie tool.

I've been using this castwell knot (actually a "lap knot", or 1/2 sheet bend, or whatever else you call it) for a while now on my rods (and my wife's) and after a lot of fish (bass, rainbows, a catfish, and a nile tilapia), and more importantly -- some really nasty bottom hang-ups -- I'm impressed with it! I've not had one slip, break, anything as far as I can tell. It takes literally 6 seconds to tie and is no more bulky than a nail knot using 30# test.

I'm sure everyone has a go-to knot for this purpose, and that's fine. Whatever works for you. I just have never seen or heard this one mentioned by anyone out there and thought I'd put this out there in case anyone has had my experience with the other knots either being overly difficult to tie or not holding well .

TB
Old 10-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Castwell's knot - Old flyline to leader knot

That's the knot that I was taught to use when I was kid.
Push it backwards and it falls apart. It didn't work for me then and I wouldn't trust it now.
Castwell convinced a lot of people to use it, but not me.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Really? I honestly do believe you guys and definitely don't want to lose a potentially good fish due to knots.

The problem I'm having is this:

The last nail knot I tied to a piece of fly line stripped the coating on the line when I tested it just like I do any knot that I tie and led to my obvious conclusion - "To heck with this, I'm going to find something else!"

Albright knots are a real pain to tie using fly line IME -- it's not bad with mono>braid, but when fly line is thrown in there it wants to "bunch and/or twist" making the coils hard to tighten down properly.

Uni knot (false nail knot) is a pain for similar reasons

Needle knot looks to me like performing surgery on a mouse and again, I don't trust nail knots -- at least not ones that I've tied

The pre-tied loop in my SA fly line appeared to get "bitten" easily and I didn't trust it to hold, so I cut it off and did the castwell.

There has to be a better way Maybe I'll got for the full sheetbend and just not plan to ever let it pass through the rod guides when fighting a fish

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Push it backwards and it falls apart. It didn't work for me then and I wouldn't trust it now.
I understand you. That said, I've tied this several times and can never get the sucker to back-off and untie....even when I wanted to do just that. Basically I've tied it just like the link and really pulled it quite tightly. I'd have to cut it off to remove it!

I wish I had a machine to test it like knot wars, but I swear to you that I cannot get the thing to break, no matter how hard I pull the two materials apart from each other.

I'm willing to try other options though -- so this is good
Old 10-28-2012, 05:34 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I've used this knot and it worked for an entire season. Never lost a leader. You need to ensure the knot is tight before you start casting otherwise you'll lose your setup. Here's a picture of my version.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Smile Re: Castwell's knot - Old flyline to leader knot

Have you considered that the slipping of the coating from the core was a fluke? I've never encountered this and for years used the nail or similar knots. Now use the Needle Knot a lot more. The knot which isn't a knot that I use a lot these days is the leader inserted into the core. Roughed up with a drop of super glue, insert into the core using a needle. Smooth slick and works fine!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The knot innes showed is a sheet bend. That castwell knot is a bit different. They don't have enough wraps to make me feel comfortable but I use a sheet bend all the time tying things down. I guess it's a good knot. If it works why Knot?
mcnerney, Noiso and fredaevans like this.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:14 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I used this knot but a loop to loop connection just makes line management easier.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

As DD notes, the knot is a sheet bend. Been around for a thousand years.

Google Image Result for http://outsideperception.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/knots2.jpg
Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
Have you considered that the slipping of the coating from the core was a fluke? I've never encountered this and for years used the nail or similar knots.
That actually happen to me once while striper fishing at night. A nice fish pulled the leader right off.
My flashlight was nearly dead, so the only way I could think of to keep fishing was to strip off more of the line coating and tie a perfection loop in the core. It worked so well that I left it that way for the rest of the season
turbineblade likes this.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
That actually happen to me once while striper fishing at night. A nice fish pulled the leader right off.
My flashlight was nearly dead, so the only way I could think of to keep fishing was to strip off more of the line coating and tie a perfection loop in the core. It worked so well that I left it that way for the rest of the season
Hey Rip -- I definitely respect your opinion and you've responded to like 90% of my stupid questions with helpful information .

Would you recommend actually stripping the fly line coating and doing this intentionally? I prefer the loop to loop connecdtion and that sounds like it would work....