The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Anyone Use the Orvis Knot

I always found the clinch knot to be a little cumbersome especially after or around dark. I picked up the Orvis app for iphone. Great app, lots of cool stuff on knots and casting.

They call it the Orvis knot but I am sure it must be under other names as well. If you find you are changing flies frequently and want to try a nice knot, this one is really slick. As with all knots, after a few attempts I found little things to make it easier to tie. Its all I use now.

Its to the top far right of the link I provided.
Its probably old news to the old trouts around here. But there may be some who have never tried it.

Orvis_Knots

happy trails

phil
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone Use the Orvis Knot

I assume you mean Ovis Knot and not the Orvis Tippet Knot?

Sure, the Orvis knot is a superior strength knot from what I've read and in my experience it's at least stronger than a double surgeon's loop . I found this out when I got hung-up on the bottom the other day.

Everyone has their preferred knots and I'd think most people would tend to stick with ones they landed good fish with on a regular basis....who'd blame them?

I've heard the saying "an average knot tied well beats a great knot tied poorly" and I 100% believe this. I recently went trout fishing with an excellent guide in WV and observed his rigging and knot tying because I'm interested in that kind of thing, and his preferred knots?

blood knot
untucked clinch knot

And you know what? I caught some nice fish that day without problems due to knot failure. Go figure - these two knots are among those targeted for low strength and/or slippage.
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

My fingers don't work so well and I find almost all knots hard to tie, especially tying the fly to the tippet. I don't know why, but the smaller the line, the harder it is for me. Plus my eyes just ain't the same once I passed the 50-mark.

I found this thing, called the Cinch Tie Knot Tyer, actually ties the clinch knot quickly and remarkably easily. I think you can do the same this with a pair of forceps, too, jsut as easily.

Here is the website: cinch tie knot tyer and there is even a little video on the page where it shows you how to tie the clinch knot on it. Like I said, you can just as easily use forceps for this.

All I know is that this little thing has made my life a lot easier and I am sure it will be more so whenever the weather gets cold and my fingers work even less well than they do normally.

ray
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The way the Orvis knot came about is that Orvis held a contest for the strongest new tippet to fly knot. The "Orvis knot" won and they bought the right to name the knot from the fellow that invented it.

I have used it exclusively since it was developed. It is a strong knot and best of all it does NOT waste tippet. I won't use a knot that requires a lot of tippet because a short tippet is less effective.

Some knots like the clinch knot trap the tippet between a wrap of tippet and the hook eye. To work they require the tippet diameter to be much smaller than the hook wire diameter. Otherwise the tag end of the tippet can slip out. If you have ever had a curly cue at the end of your tippet when you lost a fish tied with a clinch, that is a slipped knot.

The Orvis knot won't slip.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and noreaster like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-29-2012, 12:09 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
The way the Orvis knot came about is that Orvis held a contest for the strongest new tippet to fly knot. The "Orvis knot" won and they bought the right to name the knot from the fellow that invented it.

I have used it exclusively since it was developed. It is a strong knot and best of all it does NOT waste tippet. I won't use a knot that requires a lot of tippet because a short tippet is less effective.

Some knots like the clinch knot trap the tippet between a wrap of tippet and the hook eye. To work they require the tippet diameter to be much smaller than the hook wire diameter. Otherwise the tag end of the tippet can slip out. If you have ever had a curly cue at the end of your tippet when you lost a fish tied with a clinch, that is a slipped knot.

Interesting story. I wondered how it got its name. It is a great knot that won't waste tippet. I love the slip part of the knot. Very ingenious.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Damned interesting! Looking at a 'just lost fish' yesterday AM and the 'curly cue' was just what I was looking at.
mcnerney and noreaster like this.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
I always found the clinch knot to be a little cumbersome especially after or around dark. I picked up the Orvis app for iphone. Great app, lots of cool stuff on knots and casting.

They call it the Orvis knot but I am sure it must be under other names as well. If you find you are changing flies frequently and want to try a nice knot, this one is really slick. As with all knots, after a few attempts I found little things to make it easier to tie. Its all I use now.

Its to the top far right of the link I provided.
Its probably old news to the old trouts around here. But there may be some who have never tried it.

Orvis_Knots

happy trails

phil
+1 Many knots have been invented,improved upon but the Baker or Orvis knot is my favorite for over twenty years.
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:22 PM

horseman_37601 will become famous soon enough

i recently learned the davy knot, took some getting used to, but now that i have it, great, esy to tie knot. much easier than a improved clinch knot, at least for me. still learning the douple surgeons knot, anybody got help for that one??

"the ox is slow, but the earth is patience"
Old 10-30-2012, 04:42 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I did a search for Orvis knot and found the history of the knot here:

"Some years ago, the Orvis Company held a contest in which anglers submitted new line-to-hook knots. A gentleman named Larry Becker won, and the knot he submitted is among the strongest, simplest, and most reliable that a fly fisher can use. The Orvis knot is also very small and light."

http://midcurrent.com/knots/the-last-link/
dean_mt and noreaster like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I did a search for Orvis knot and found the history of the knot here:

"Some years ago, the Orvis Company held a contest in which anglers submitted new line-to-hook knots. A gentleman named Larry Becker won, and the knot he submitted is among the strongest, simplest, and most reliable that a fly fisher can use. The Orvis knot is also very small and light."

Fly Fishing Knots: The Last Link | MidCurrent
Very cool. Thanks for this. I feel I little bad for Larry though not being credited for his invention.
Orvis should keep him in rods for life.