The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM

medic77 will become famous soon enough
Default Kid's fly rod question

Soooo.. My 7yo daughter was doing a school computer project tonight that she had to write Santa a wish list letter. Her #1 item on the list is a fly rod (tear) and she is a hell of a spin rod fisherman. She out fishes me daily with several large bass to her credit. She messes around on my backup TFO 8'6 5wt and caught her first couple 'gills all by herself and is infatuated now. My question is, what would be her best rod to start on? A short little 3wt? Not sure where to start this one so advice is appreciated since I only began this great adventure 2 years ago.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kid's fly rod question

My girl is too young for me to have experience!

I thought this thread might be helpful. From what I've read preparing for a project with kids at church, an 8 or 8'6" 4 or 5wt is a good place to start. Lighter rods can take a bit more practice to cast, and the 5 will throw nymphs and small streamers. The longer rod helps them keep the back cast off the ground a bit more and raises the fly up away from the face as well, though you still have to watch out Look forward till my daughter (soon to be two daughters) are old enough and hopefully interested in hanging out with dad by the water. Enjoy
imxer and fredaevans like this.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Kid's fly rod question

Nothing to what WJ just said that I could fault/add; think he's nailed it.

Fred
Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

TFO and Redington have shorter rods designed for kids. They also have smaller grips for those smaller hands.

Dennis
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Lucky dad! I would ecstatic if my daughter put a fly rod at the top of her list.

Anyway, just last night I was researching rods and examining the ECHO site, they make a rod specific for youngsters. It's described as med/fast, 7'9" 4/5wt and looks really sweet; yellow blank, cool grip with a short butt if they need to use a second hand ever. Check it out: The Echo Gecko.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
TFO and Redington have shorter rods designed for kids. They also have smaller grips for those smaller hands.

Dennis
Those both look nice, Dennis. That Reddington outfit is tough to beat at $100.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road

My experience with guiding kids is to go with a mid flex 9' 5wt. Had kiddos as young as 6 years old handle that length. I think the extra length helps in all areas.

I usually use TFO's Lefty Kreh Pro Series, but other rods at that length and weight would work.

Just my .02 cents. Have a good day.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Every year I teach youth to fly cast.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I would NOT recommend a 9 ft fly rod for a 7 yo. It will be too heavy and the swing weight of the rod will not allow her to make the proper casting motion. She will wave it about, and waving a rod is not casting a rod.

Start with a short and light rod but use a fly line that is 2 weights heavier. Your goal is for her to make the proper casting motions. Do not use a real fly but a tuft of yarn on a stiff short leader.

Even better, use a length of macrame cord that will load the rod and allow loop formation.
thorsten likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road

Let me clarify. I think the fly rod length for young kids is situational. Sure, Silver, if you are teaching full casting motion, I can see where the WEIGHT is too much. Howver, I guide rivers and the extra length not only assists water-loaded roll casts, but it greatly enhances the ability to nymph drift.

Pretty neat that you work with youth in fly casting. Need more folks like you.

Duane
Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I agree with Silver creek. A 9' rod is much more difficult to swing than a 6' rod. It is pushing a lot more wind and has a lot less leverage. A seven year old female does not have a lot of strength in her forearms. I would recommend a TFO signature 6' 2wt with a 4wt DT line. It is a wonderful casting tool and will cast a wide range of fly weights. I use this setup on small warmwater creeks exclusively. It requires almost no effort to cast and would be perfect for a little one and one she can use for many years to come. Small poppers and beadchain flies are easily cast with this rod as are streamers up to those on a size 2 hook. Do her a favor and get her a short light rod so as not to discourage her. I am sure she could fish it for hours at a time without tireing. Just MHO
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

one word (or is it 2 ?)
safetyglasses

When I thought my son wanted to learn to fly fish I set him up with a marked down Pfluegler 8' 6wt. and a "recycled" Cabela's reel.
Good thing that I didn't waste a lot of dough on his set-up as he only used it once.