The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 10:21 AM

redncwings is on a distinguished road
Default What discourages you on the water?

I just recently picked up fly fishing and bought a decent setup. I have pretty much no experience at all. Thus I bring this question to the table.

What discourages you when you’re on the water? What would be a great idea in fashion; what would you like to see produced on the market to make fly fishing safer, more efficient, more effective, or easier on you. This can be a current product or something brand new. Please relay me any ideas you have; the ideas will help me brainstorm and come up with my senior project for college. Plus if I end up using someone’s idea I'm willing to make additional prototypes and send them to you to see if I actually produced something of use or need to redesign to iron out any problems (that is if it is reasonably small and easy to prototype). I'm sure some ideas could become quite large and expensive to produce. And because I'm a poor college student money could be a factor in what project I can take on. Thanks for your time

Nicholas
Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What discourages you on the water?

Nicholas,

Good question but, I cant think of one time I was on the water flyfishing where I stopped and said "If I had this my day would go better" There is a few time I said I wish I would have tied another one of those flies when I lose my last one, But besides that nothing. With me it is a time I get back to basic. Me a pole and the flies I tie trying to just catch that one fish. I love catching every fish I do, but I go looking for the one. I still have not caught it and maybe never will, But thats the excitment in it wondering if this is it every time my indicator moves. For me anyhow like I said, "basics"
Old 01-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group!

I'm trying to think of a product type solution, but I can't think of anything either.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

If I feel any discouragement on the water it is born of my own limitations in knowledge and skill. There is a gadget for just about every task and management challenge in fly fishing but I wouldn't discourage anyone from coming up with a "better" way.

I don't have any ideas for filling any essential need but I have an idea or two for a couple of useful though unnecessary and completely trivial gadgets. The first one would be very cheap to prototype for a project.

1. Indicator Yarn dispenser: Use one of those plastic caps for holding and hanging floatant bottles. Attach 3 or 4 inches of clear plastic tube. Stuff in a length of your favorite yarn mixture in the right diameter and cap off with another soft plastic cap cut/perforated like a starfish. Feed the yarn through like a kleenex dispenser. Probably good for two to three quick indicators on the stream.

2. Stream thermometer strip built in to wading boots and/or waders: More of a feature than a gadget really.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM

fatguide is on a distinguished road

How 'bout some way to "relieve" oneself without climbing out of the water and stripping down. It's about the only thing that frustrates me. It's time waisted.

fish or DIE
Old 01-08-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatguide View Post
How 'bout some way to "relieve" oneself without climbing out of the water and stripping down. It's about the only thing that frustrates me. It's time waisted.
Outstanding Protection! Depends underwear is now softer than ever.

DEPEND - Offers - What's New at Depend.com
Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM

I thought of the thermometer in waders...lots of people doen't understand that cold water can be deadly...I was thinking of running a digital readout from a thermometer cuffed in the boot somewhere or the butt of the fly rod so minimal exposure to the water is needed to get a good reading of the water temp....the digital readout would be a clipon and could be applied anywhere on the body; however I would be more less designing a hoster or enclosure for the themometer and unsure if it will meet some of the other requirements of the coarse. However, I am pleased to meet someone else on the same wavelength as I and thank you for your ideas. I will try to keep everyone posted on how my project is going. Thanks again
Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redncwings View Post
I thought of the thermometer in waders...lots of people doen't understand that cold water can be deadly...
You are right about that but I was thinking more along the lines of cold water makes trout happy.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 PM

Yea, as sick as it may sound I know the feeling...when you have to go you have to go....unsure of legalities of using the river as a bathroom; and really unsure if I would feel comfortable in my waders with a bag full of urine. However, a very interesting idea at that; could possibly be a fun project in deed. I will keep this in mind and let you know if this fits the coarse requirements. Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 PM

I never thought of it that way....again, inexperienced just started this past summer....so this forum should be very good for me. Thanks again