The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Felt Soles Revisited

Replacement felt soles for the interchangable Korkers system are $30 a pair. They also have a new sole they call Svelte 1 and 2 that they claim sticks better than felt or rubber and is stream friendly. I may have to look into these.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

My first thought was to give this one of these;
Click the image to open in full size.
Buuuuuut, splain me dis sveldt stuff.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

Diver Dan, Quit beating that dead horse, LOL. I bought the Korkers because I didn't know what to get under the circumstances. I don't mean this to sound like an advertisement. I just saw the Svelte soles on their website - Soles & Accessories | Korkers - scroll down to the bottom of the page. Sounds interesting.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

There is another felt sole discussion on another BB. Here is a post I made about wading boots and waders.

One of the best methods of reducing invasives is one that is rarely mentioned. That is the boot foot waders that completely eliminate the wading boot. It eliminates the possibility of getting invasives into the innards of a separate wading boot.

It would get rid of laces, boot tongues, wader guards, and the inner boot. Invasives get between the stocking foot wader and the wading boot and between the wading boot footbed and inner boot. The felt is only one part of the wading boot/stocking foot wader system that is susceptible to hitch hikers.

The State of California* Department of Fish and Game did a study on "CONTROLLING THE SPREAD OF NEW ZEALAND MUD SNAILS ON WADING GEAR"

They found that the New Zealand Mud Snails work their way into locations well away from felt soles and into areas not normally inspected like under the insoles of wading boots.

"The majority of NZMS recovered were associated with wading boots. NZMS were observed on the tongue area of wading boots, associated with the laces or the area of the tongue that was tucked beneath the lacing eyelets. Large numbers of small NZMS were present inside of the boots, having worked down between the boot and the neoprene bootie of the wader. If the boots contained padded insole inserts, NZMS were also found underneath the inserts, associated with sand grains. NZMS were recovered from every treated set of wading gear. Numbers of NZMS per sample ranged from 1 to 227 with a mean of 33 (Appendix 2). Over 50% of NZMS recovered were < 1 mm in size (Table 4)."

http://tinyurl.com/cg73x43

Why don't manufacturer's tout boot foot waders? Could it be that they want to sell both boots and waders? If separate boots are a problem as well as the felt, get rid of the separate boot.

In fact, why not outlaw stocking foot waders and wading boots entirely? This would reduce the chance of transport as much as outlawing felt. It would provide a seamless connection to the boot section of a wader without all the need for drainage holes and crevices that that wading boots provide. The reason is $$$. Simms and the other manufacturers want to sell both a boot and a wader. When manufacturers say that eliminating felt soles is the best method of controlling invasives, I remain a sceptic.

The same California study found that chemical decontamination eventually destroyed the waders and boots. Bleach for example is an oxidizer and damages gear. Any spill or drips in your vehicle will damage upholstery and carpets. That is why manufacturers recommend rinsing and drying gear without the use of chemicals.

Here are some photos gear that has been chemically decontaminated.

Bleach

Pine Sol

Bezethonium Chloride

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I've often thought whether there could be developed a dressing or insecticide/herbicide of some sort that could be applied to felt soles prior to (or after) wading which would kill any organisms. OR some type of felt like material to which any organism couldn't survive.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:04 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
I've often thought whether there could be developed a dressing or insecticide/herbicide of some sort that could be applied to felt soles prior to (or after) wading which would kill any organisms. OR some type of felt like material to which any organism couldn't survive.
Back in the early nineties we were booking anglers onto the waters of a private ranch. Most of the angling was from float tubes. Before entering the water, every single angler, dressed in their waders & tuber booties along with their fins and float tubes, first had to take a few minutes to soak in a large galvanized tub ( Think Super-Sized hot tub. ) filled with a milky looking solution that was said to prevent the introduction of “ you name it “ to that fishery.

Some years later, one of the “ ______ologists “ out here said it was the same thing that they used in dairy’s for sterilization purposes. Don’t know if that’s true or not. But I do know that you weren't getting from the ranches parking area, to the water without first taking a soak in the dip tank.

Best, TT
Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I think the "dip" idea is good. The only trouble is that you need compliance from everyone- that's the trouble as I see it.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

There is no "safe" chemical treatment that will kill all invasives. Whatever was in the "dip," it was not the silver bullet.

Dydimo is actually the most fragile of the big 4 Aquatic invasives (Dydimo, NZ Mud Snails, Whirling Disease, and Zebra Mussels). Whirling Disease is the most difficult to kill with a myxospore stage that is resistant to chemicals, freezing, drying, aging, biodegradation, and digestion by gastric acid.

"The (Whirling Disease) myxospores can tolerate freezing at -20 centigrade for at least 3 months and are still viable after the passage through the guts of predators.... There have been reports from Europe of myxospores remaining viable in dry pond beds for 12 years(Bauer 1962)."

http://wildlife.utah.gov/fes/pdf_pubs/2002_06.pdf

In the second paper that is referenced on WD states, "The contents of the myxospore are sealed by a protective shell making the myxospore highly resistant to stresses such as smoking (Wolf and Markiw 1982), aging, freezing, chemical exposure, and digestion by fish-eating birds and fish (Hoffman and Putz 1969; El-Matbouli and Hoffmann 1991). The myxospore can withstand temperatures from -20° C to 60° C (Hoffman and Putz 1971; Hoffman and Markiw 1977) and can resist biodegradation for years while retaining its infectivity (Halliday 1976). These resilient features of the myxospore make it likely that it will persist in an environment until it is ingested by the oligochaete host."

http://etd.lib.montana.edu/etd/2007/...GatesK0507.pdf

Whirling Disease is the "Terminator" of invasive species. It'll always be back.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-01-2012, 04:14 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I bet I caught whirling disease from eating infected rainbows when I was in Colorado. I've been spending an awful lot of time going around in circles since then.
milt spawn likes this.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:22 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

Dry your gear. As i have read if your gear is allowed to dry nothing will live. After fishing a river i sit my boats outside for a few days till they are dry. Also hang my waders outside on the porch. I know this wont work if you fish more than one river in a day or two.